1993 GMC Sonoma stalls out hot and hard to restart

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
greenlarry30

1993 GMC Sonoma stalls out hot and hard to restart

Unread post by greenlarry30 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:45 pm

I ran bad gas though the the engine, I have rebuilt the injectors, the fuel pump, and blew the lines clear now it runs good when it's cold but after it warms up it stalls out and can't be restarted again without starting fluid

ProTech

Re: 93 GMC Sonoma

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:11 pm

So you must have something that is being affected by the heat from the engine. It may not be something related to the bad gas deal at all. Usually, suspect components that go out with heat would be a faulty ignition module, a bad crank sensor, coil, or other ignition component.

Your best bet, if you can get an appropriate scanner, is to watch the live data stream while the truck is running fine and then watch for a glitch when the truck dies out when hot. Usually a sensor will show up being faulty during this time and you can actually see it happen with a scanner. If not, you're going to have to start playing the guessing game unless you can start eliminating things that you know are good.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

mitch

1997 gmc hard starting hot

Unread post by mitch » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:39 pm

Hi I have a 97 gmc 1/2 ton 5.7 l. It has trouble starting when it is hot. I have changed the starter and battery and alternator. It cranks over slow when it is hot and sometimes it cranks over for awhile before starting. Where do I start looking?

carriedi

Re: 1997 gmc hard starting hot

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:10 pm

sounds like you might have more than just one problem. for the slow cranking hot, you might want to vetify your ignition timing and see what the battery draw in amps is when it acting up.

the long cranking, you should check your fuel pressure and/or for a leak in the fuel system. also make sure the coolant temp is accurate
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

1936chevy

1981 chevy wont start after shut it off for a while

Unread post by 1936chevy » Thu May 28, 2015 12:42 pm

yes my 1981 Chevy 350 engine it starts up when its cold after you drive it for about 20 minutes and then shut it off and when you come back it has nothing no spark no nothing until it cools off again. can't find the problem.

carriedi

Re: 1981 chevy wont start after shut it off for a while

Unread post by carriedi » Thu May 28, 2015 9:51 pm

If you have verified that you have no spark from the coil check to see if the distributor signal is present at the tach terminal. (that would be the RPM signal) Power from the ignition switch...?

you could have a bad coil. you could have a bad ignition module. you could have a bad pick up assembly. You would need to check these things when the engine has no spark. See which things are working and which one isn't. Or maybe more than one...
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Amymitchellowens

Unread post by Amymitchellowens » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:23 am

Amy down south here in ms... have u changed your fuel pump.. or coil packs.. try coil packs first.. if coils packs don't work. Change your fuel pump..

Unread post by Guest » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:00 pm

I had this problem 1992 gmc sierra sle c1500 stepside 5.7 v8 turns out someone put security system in it up under driver side behind fuse box n while the removed fuse they didn't unhook the wires running thru it when it would get hot n I cut it off it wiykd take 30 min to an hour to crank n I was dead sure it was starter or solenoid but wasn't

My 06 envoy xl slt has trouble starting after I fill it up and if it goes to half tank acts like it wants to shut off

Unread post by Guest » Tue May 25, 2021 7:46 pm

What do I need to do to my 06 gmc envoy from stalling when it gets to half a tank