suspension torque specs

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Saturn questions.
degiau

suspension torque specs

Unread post by degiau » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:21 am

I cannot find the torque specs for a lower control arm on an '08 Saturn aura 3.5L. I'm also curious how the rear bushing works when the
bolt is tightened. If it locks the bushing in place, how does the arm pivot with the up and down movement of the suspension?

carriedi

Re: suspension torque specs

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:11 pm

ok, I am guessing you are looking for the torque specs for a lower control arm in the rear suspension then.

Lower control arm to support bolt/nut is 81 ft/lb.

Here's the thing, it should be tightened and torqued with the weight of the car on it. (or the at rest position) It's best to has the alignment place adjust it and then tighten it while it's still on the alignment rack.

When you tighten the bolt it will lock the metal sleeve of the bushing between the bracket. It should not be able to move after it tightened up. When the control arm bounces up and down the rubber part will twist and absorb the shock then return to it's at rest position ready for the next bump. If you tighten the bushing bolt with the suspension hanging down it will put the bushing under a load as soon as you lower the car down. The weight of the car will twist the bushing and then when you go over bumps you will be over working the rubber bushing. It will still work but it will wear out much faster.
Attachments
saturn rear arm.jpg
saturn rear arm.jpg (132.02 KiB) Viewed 12786 times
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

impost

Re: suspension torque specs

Unread post by impost » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:20 pm

So your knowledge and experience are very useful. I greet you. http://lan-utan-uc-se.com/