Toyota Echo 2000: Sound When Braking

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Toyota questions.
Nzfcar

Toyota Echo 2000: Sound When Braking

Unread post by Nzfcar » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:26 am

Hi, I have a Toyota Echo 2000. For a while now, when I brake from higher speeds, I've been noticing a sort of screeching sound. Besides braking from higher speeds, it's also noticeable when braking downwards on a steep. I recorded how it sounds below (sound appears towards the end after 6 seconds), although it can sound louder than what I have here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7TMJH ... FESms/view

carriedi

Re: Toyota Echo 2000: Sound When Braking

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:52 am

so, have you had your brakes checked? Many places will check your brakes for free.

The noise was very light listening you your recording. Do you know if it sounds like it's coming from the front or the back? Left or right?

Some brake pads have wear sensors on the pad that will screech when they touch the rotor.

Some pads screech because they are vibrating as they contact the brake rotor. If they pads are not making noise due to a brake sensor, then it may just be vibration. See if all the factory anti-rattle hardware is present and in good condition.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Unread post by Guest » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Thanks for the reply. I personally didn't get it checked but my dad had taken it to a repair shop but they said they didn't see anything wrong with the brakes, although I am not even sure they heard the sound I've been hearing. They had said maybe something was wrong with my shocks....not really sure if the shock thing is just a separate issue.

I'll try to make time to go take my car to another shop and see if they think anything is wrong with the brakes. I feel like a shock problem wouldn't be the cause of the noise and instead it probably is related to brakes.

Nzfcar

Unread post by Nzfcar » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:37 pm

Oh and the sound was noticeable from the left front side.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:05 pm

There may not be anything wrong with the brakes mechanically. They may plenty of pad left and be working fine. They just make noise...

You could do things to keep the pad from vibrating and causing the noise. Some people use a additive to make the pad stick to the caliper like CRC "disc brake quiet" other use a lubricant like Permatex "ceramic extreme brake parts lubricant". One works by trying to stop the pad from vibrating the other lubricate the parts where they rub so they won't make the noise as the rub. Both work. Difficult to say which one works better. Depends on the car and the condition of the rotors.

the other thing is to replace the pads with a pad that is designed not to squeak and resurface the rotors on the vehicle. Resurfacing on the vehicle trues the rotors on the car making a surer fit to actual driving characteristics.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.