2003 Kia Spectra Stalls Out And Engine Light On

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Toyota questions.
KaKaKaKia

2003 Kia Spectra Stalls Out And Engine Light On

Unread post by KaKaKaKia » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:49 am

I have a 2003 kia spectra. I had my transmission rebuilt a year ago and there isn't anything wrong with it that I know of. I was driving it a little over a week ago with no problems. Recently at a stop light I was breaking as usual. For some reason as I was using my breaks I felt it give out on the break and I had to put more pressure on it kinda like a surge. My car died at the stoplight so I shifted to park and turned it all the way off and back on again.

The check engine light came on obviously when the car stalled but when I started it up again it didn't come on. As I drove off, I noticed that my car really lacked power. I didn't want to gun down and try to get it to go faster because it was really having trouble gaining power and speed.

ProTech

Re: 2003 Kia Spectra Stalls Out And Engine Light On

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:19 pm

Well, that problem would have surely set some trouble codes in the vehicle's computer. Since you definitely have an issue now with acceleration, there is something that is preventing that. Normal things to go out and cause problems like this are electronic throttle bodies, computer sensors, plugged catalytic converters, etc.

You should at least get your Kia scanned and see what, if any, codes had been stored during the stalling event. Those codes will help you or another technician find the actual problem.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+