2001 ford excursion will not shift into gear

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Ford truck questions now.
ronnyr

2001 ford excursion will not shift into gear

Unread post by ronnyr » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:11 am

I have a 2001 ford excursion 4wd 7.3 liter auto trans. When I back out of my long driveway, often it will not drive forward once I shift from reverse to forward (as if it were in neutral). At this point, I can shift down into low/#1, turn overdrive off and it will lunge forward a foot or so at a time enough to get me out of the road at which time I disconnect the batteries to reset the "brain" and it will return to normal. It's obviously some sort of sensor or backing safety issue, any help/diagnosis would be very appreciated.

Startinhard

Re: ford excursion sensor problem

Unread post by Startinhard » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:10 am

Could be a problem with the valve body in the transmission. But that would not explain why disconnecting the battery makes a difference. Inside the valvebody are all the shift valves and solenoids. If a valve were sticking, this would give you the problem from reverse to drive you are having with your Ford truck. Disconnecting the battery could be resetting a solenoid, but not a valve. A scan of the computer codes that may be stored might be needed as a first step to diagnosing this problem.