tortion bar

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
Easymoney

tortion bar

Unread post by Easymoney » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:51 pm

How do i remove the tortion bar on 1996 GMC Safari 4 by 4 van?

carriedi

Re: tortion bar

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:28 pm

be careful. torsion bars have all the pressure behind them as coil springs have. Unlike Chrysler torsion bars, GM's don't fully release with the adjusting bolt. You can take the adjusting bolt out and you will still not be able to take the torsion bar adjusting nut out of the frame bracket. If you try and pry out the adjusting nut you could very easily loose a finger. Gm has a tool (J36202) to lift up on the torsion bar lever and then remove the adjusting nut, then back off the lever and remove the torsion bar and lever. I know that some people have used an OTC type ball joint press to lift the torsion lever off the adjusting block but it's risky. What ever you do, never put your finger inside where the adjuster nut goes. If the torsion bar slips it will travel between the two sides of the cross member and easily cut a finger as the tension releases itself.

why are you taking the torsion bar out?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Easymoney

Unread post by Easymoney » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:41 am

carriedi wrote:be careful. torsion bars have all the pressure behind them as coil springs have. Unlike Chrysler torsion bars, GM's don't fully release with the adjusting bolt. You can take the adjusting bolt out and you will still not be able to take the torsion bar adjusting nut out of the frame bracket. If you try and pry out the adjusting nut you could very easily loose a finger. Gm has a tool (J36202) to lift up on the torsion bar lever and then remove the adjusting nut, then back off the lever and remove the torsion bar and lever. I know that some people have used an OTC type ball joint press to lift the torsion lever off the adjusting block but it's risky. What ever you do, never put your finger inside where the adjuster nut goes. If the torsion bar slips it will travel between the two sides of the cross member and easily cut a finger as the tension releases itself.

why are you taking the torsion bar out?
removing trans

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:19 am

If you are close to an Autozone, I hear that they rent the torsion bar unloader tool. There are some for sale on ebay. Just do a search for J36202
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.