Misfire and Instrument Control Cluster GMC envoy

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
michaele9

Unread post by michaele9 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:47 am

I have a 2004 GMC Envoy, 4.2L, 183,000 miles. Two issues here. I have a misfire in cylinder 1 and had to replace the Instrument Control Cluster. The cluster arrived preprogrammed and installed, all of the spark plugs and ignition coils were replaced after the cluster installation. Everything worked fine for about 10 minutes and then the truck was shut off. When it was restarted a misfire appeared in cylinder 1, P301, and the Instrument Control Cluster went out. The mechanics checked everything they could think of using manuals but found everything in working order. Right now they believe there is a bad centerline wire. They think the computer is not communicating with the cylinder, voltage is fine, and that this may also be tied in to the Instrument Control Cluster going out based on the wiring diagrams they have been looking at. This is not a GM Shop I am working with but they are GM certified Techs. I live in Germany and their current advice is to take it to a German GM shop. I am asking if their thoughts on the wire may be true. There is a language barrier when working with the GM shop and a very high bill to pay since payments are not in dollars but in euros.

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:52 pm

There is no common thread to the #1 ignition coil and the instrument cluster. You're either losing a power feed that is affecting more than one circuit, or have two different issues. Check for any blown fuses, and have them scan the truck for any trouble codes. Something could be shorting out and taking down multiple circuits. If it ran fine after repairs until it was restarted, something had to give way. Even a bad ignition switch can cause a problem like this.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

michaele9

Unread post by michaele9 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:11 am

PROTECH,
Thank you for the advise and clarification. I will take what you wrote to the GM repair shop here and see what happens.