No power to anything with ignition switch in on position

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
redrocket

No power to anything with ignition switch in on position

Unread post by redrocket » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:28 pm

I have a snowplow truck, 1976 GMC 4 wheel drive/auto tranny. The truck started fine and normal today and warmed up for 3-4 minutes before I put it in drive and it quit running like it sometimes does when not warmed up enough (it has done this ever since I bought it 6 years ago). Typically it will start right backup, warm up a little longer and runs fine. Today, when I tried to start it again, there was no pre-start buzzer and the heater fan did not run when the ignition key was at the on position and the starter did not roll over. The head lamps will not work with or without the key at the on position. Have checked the fuses and the engine compartment connections. The battery was charged after the last time I plowed snow which is typical procedure. When the truck was running, I did cycle the snowplow up/down and right/left which is typical before I put the truck in drive to move the truck. Overall, with the ignition switch in the on position there is no power to anything. Got any ideas as to what is the problem or what I should do/check next??

ProTech

Re: No power to anything with ignition switch in on position

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:03 pm

I'd say replace the ignition switch, that is a fairly common issue on the older trucks. Make sure you get the rods in the correct position when you install a new one.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+