All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ask A Question Reply   

contributions: 3
My 01 Cad Deville's fuel gauge goes whacky when it shows below half tank. I replaced old shocks with new thinking the car was not level. It didn't solve problem. Is there a sensor that needs replaced?

Share on FacebookShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

* Search   

contributions: 2256
there are a few things to consider on a fuel gauge not working right. The sender in the tank, the gauge in the dash and the circuit that completes the system.

you should use a scanner and see if it has a fuel level PID. You would have to see what that reading shows when the gauge is acting up. You might be able to graph the fuel sender and see if the sender is erratic of if is steady but the gauge is not correct. the sender uses the purple wire (pin 72 connector2) and the black wire (pin 13 connector2) at the powertrain control module (PCM). The PCM then sends the information to the Instrument Control Panel to move the stepper motor for the fuel gauge.

I have seen where the sender goes bad or has a poor connection cause problems. I have seen where the stepper motor for the fuel gauge goes bad. Since yours seems to only act up below a half tank it sounds like the sender. But, weirder things have happened.

The "level" of the tank shouldn't make that much difference or making corners and going up and down hills would cause the gauge to not be very accurate.

Ask A Question Reply