1990 88 Royale wont start when hot

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
abaker

90 Olds Delta 88 suddenly dies and won't restart

Unread post by abaker » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:14 pm

My 90 Olds Delta 88 will suddenly die while driving and then won't start. It was only doing it after I would drive it all over town, then I would go into the city I would go to leave and it won't start,the fuel pump was replaced just a couple of months ago, we just put a new fuel filter on last night but it still won't start. I REALLY NEED HELP PLEASE, I've had couple of people say that its the Mass Intake Sensor?.. Any suggestions please

carriedi

Re: 90 Olds Delta 88 suddenly dies and won't restart

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:00 pm

before you replace anymore parts you should have it checked when it won't start. When it won't start, you need to measure your fuel pressure. it should be 40 to 47 psi for the 3.8L. If fuel pressure turns out okay, check for spark. If the spark is good then check for fuel injector pulse.

each part will have it's own tree to follow depending on what results you get. Crank sensor, ignition module, fuel pump connector, shorting injector, passlock problem, coil pack, and on and on.

what is the problem you are having now? does it die while you are driving and not restart or is it you drive around and park it and it won't start when you come back to the car? Or is it both.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Wildman45

No fire to fuel pump

Unread post by Wildman45 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:56 am

I get sparks plugs good prime it with gas it run but don't hear pump run out new one on it want run what's up wiring

FUDFUH

1990 88 Royale wont start when hot

Unread post by FUDFUH » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:15 pm

I have a 90' Olds 88 (3800 Series 1) with 60,000 miles. When the car is driven for 30-40 minutes and you turn it off like you would do to stop and get gas the car will not restart. I have to wait 2 hours for it to fully cool down before it will start up again.

I have replaced the fuel pump, sending unit, ICM, EGR, MAF, Idle controler, fuel regulator, alternator and crank position sensor. What would cause this to happen? It makes no sense to me so any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

carriedi

Re: 1990 88 Royale wont start when hot

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:36 pm

wow, you've spent a lot of money on parts.

you're have to check what's happening when it won't start. do you have spark when it won't start? Do you have injector pulse? You should have fuel pressure with all the parts you've replaced but check it anyways. See if the fuel pump is coming to prime the system and then run while cranking. That's what you need to do before you replace any parts. Once you see what you have and don't have then you start narrowing down what you need to check next.

what does your coolant temperature sensor read? if it reads -40F (when there is no CTS signal) it will start when the engine is cold but once the engine warms up a -40F reading will cause the computer to flood the warm engine with fuel. Holding the gas pedal to the floor while cranking will tell the computer to clearflood the engine and turn off the fuel injectors. If the engine is being flooded this will cut off the fuel and allow the engine to clear out the fuel and it may start up then.

Having as scanner available when the engine won't start would help you out a lot because you can see what the computer sees and maybe why it's not starting. O2 sensor, fuel trims, CTS, cam and crk sensor readings, MAF and or MAP readings.....

I have a sign in my shop that says I'm a pretty good guesser but if I don't have all the information I will probably guess wrong. The more information that you can find out, the less parts you will have to replace that don't fix your problem. Start with the basics. spark, injector pulse and fuel supply.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Delta 88

Unread post by GUEST » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:34 pm

1997 delta 88 starts up just fine but after running a few errands wont start up. Let it sit for 20 minutes, then starts right back up. What's wrong with my car.

carriedi

Re: Delta 88

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:03 pm

you should have your car scanned to see what is happening. Is the control module getting hot and stopped sending the signal for spark? Is the crank sensor sot sending the crank signal to the pcm? Is the coolant sensor open so the computer is flooding a warm engine? Is the security light flashing? Cycle the key from off to run without starting the engine. Can you hear the fuel pump run for the two second prime and then hear a click and pump turn off? (it's going to be a very light hum sound when the pump runs)

So many things could cause this. with a scanner hooked up and run until it won't start you should be able to look at the data stream and see what is different for the no start.

Not always, but it's a first step. Crank signal. Coolant temp. signal, injector pulse, mass air flow, security, fuel pressure...

mik

no fire

Unread post by mik » Mon May 22, 2023 3:22 pm

2015 ford explorer wont start after timing chain was replaced

carriedi

Re: no fire

Unread post by carriedi » Tue May 23, 2023 4:05 am

that's tough to answer. Who did the timing chain? Are you sure it's in perfectly? What engine does your explorer have? Did you check that all the electronics were plugged back together? Got fuel to the injectors and are they injecting fuel? Do you have spark while the engine is cranking? Does the engine sound normal while you are cranking the engine over? are you getting a crank sensor signal?

there are so many things that could make it so it won't start. the person that did the timing chain should use a scanner while cranking the engine and see if there are any codes for mismatched timing gears.

what things have you checked for on your no start? Are all the basics working normally?