1992 Olds 88 Royale Cold start issues (FYI)

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
fallenknight73

1992 Olds 88 Royale Cold start issues (FYI)

Unread post by fallenknight73 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:54 pm

Being a bit of a BYM, I have tracked down what seems to be my issue with cold starts. I still have to test this fix, but I am about to and will post about it when I am done.
Like others my car suddenly started with cold start issues. I replaced the IAT, flushed, tune up, oil change. Computer at first kept giving me IAT codes. Well one day i shorted the IAT with some wire just to make it seem like it was 100+ air temp to the computer, I got a new error. I do not remember the exact code but it has to do with the ECT. It sends a reading to the computer of -40 below 0 at temps of 32 and below. This causes the computer to increase the fuel to the engine, aka it floods out. I am going to disconnect the ECT and short it to see if I continue to have problems. If not I will report this. Now I will not assume that it is the sensor causing the reading as it could be a faulty computer as well. Further testing will see.

TerryAuto

Re: 1992 Olds 88 Royale Cold start issues (FYI)

Unread post by TerryAuto » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:35 pm

Yes, a reading of -40 degrees on the coolant temp sensor will surely cause a rich condition and hard start on your Oldsmobile. Most likely a bad sensor other than the PCM. It gets to a point and then goes full cold. The IAT and ECT share a wire I believe, so I would move around the wiring harnesses while watching the sensor data to make sure it does not have a wiring problem.

fallenknight73

Unread post by fallenknight73 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:46 pm

Well shorting it did not work, did a system reset and brought it back up with IAT and ECT disconnected. Same problem. Any other ideas aside from the ECM?

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:58 pm

Well, having those sensors disconnected and having the same problem is not really a good test. You may have just induced a problem that acts the same as you are having. The sensor need to be plugged in and reading correctly to properly diagnose the problem. Shorting a sensor makes it go full one way or the other- neither is accurate to actual temps so that can cause problems.

You say it started all of a sudden- I would check for a leaking fuel pressure regulator and also do a fuel sample to see if you have water in it, and also an alcohol test.

fallenknight73

Unread post by fallenknight73 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:05 pm

Sensors and pcm replaced and it is still flooding out in cold temps. I am starting to think it is the pressure regulator. Any good tips on what the pressure should be at the rail for my car? I know the test is with the key on but engine off, but I am not sure of the reading I should get. No more pcm codes due to temp sensors either btw.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:22 pm

3.8L should be 40 to 47 psi
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.