Oldsmobile Aurora no heat or a/c problem

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
carriedi

Re: Oldsmobile Aurora no heat or a/c problem

Unread post by carriedi » Fri May 09, 2014 2:28 pm

yes, if your ac is working normally on one side and not on the other, the blend door for the side that's not working correctly is probably not working. However, if both side aren't working correctly there could be another problem.

The price may seem a little expensive considering the just replace a steel cable that toe old cars used to use... But they do have a bunch of electronics in that little gadget. There is an electric motor that responds to the heater control module. It has to know where the stops are at, at each end of travel. It has to respond to the controller to know where to stop if you move it just a little bit more or less. To do that it has to get a signal from the control unit and then send a signal back so the control unit says "good, stop there".

As far as temperamental,... 2001 makes your car about 13 years old. How many problems have they been over the 13 years?

you should shop around for prices. You could even shop online for many parts now days. Just remember that you are not just buying a part. You are buying a warranty. Many places don't give any warranty on electronic parts. So try to buy your parts where they will stand behind their parts. You could also check a wrecking yard for parts. But ask them about replacements if the part doesn't work.

BTW, you should make sure that the actuators are not working and the problem isn't the HVAC controller not sending out the signal. (but most of the time it's the actuator. Just remember though the controller can go out too)
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Gerhard7

Unread post by Gerhard7 » Thu May 21, 2015 3:57 pm

I own a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero 3.4L and I am having a very strange A/C problem. I recharged the A/C and now the compressor turns on but there is no cold air out of any of the vents in any position (front, feet, defrost, etc.) The Heater works great though. Checked all fuses. I'm just absolutely stumped on this 1. Any help would be greatly appreciated

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Thu May 21, 2015 5:55 pm

sorry, I just noticed that your vehicle is an alero not an aurora. totally different beast.

if your compressor comes on and stays running is the line that goes into the car from the compressor getting cold?

Gerhard7

Unread post by Gerhard7 » Sun May 24, 2015 1:08 am

Neither hose on the compressor go directly into the car. The hose that goes to the Evaporator is a normal ambient temperature. The hose that goes to the Condenser is very hot.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sun May 24, 2015 3:28 pm

you should have one hose that goes to the front (condenser) and one that goes to the rear (evaporator). Yes the one that goes to the front should be hot but the one that comes from the evaporator should be cold. Do you know where you your orifice tube goes? Right after the orifice tune the line should be getting really cold. Depending on the humidity, it should frost up. If the line after the orifice tube doesn't get really cold, the system is not working correctly

Gerhard7

Unread post by Gerhard7 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:59 pm

The line after the orifice tube is getting very cold and the 2 hoses that go into the car are also very cold. The smaller of the 2 (the 1 after the orifice tube is noticeably colder.) My buddy thinks there is no exchange between the vapor and liquid. Which would mean the accumulator is bad correct?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Tue May 26, 2015 10:58 am

If the lines that go into the car are very cold, like freezing cold, then the orifice tube is doing it's job and converting the liquid into vapor. That's what makes it get cold. So, are the pipes that go into the car frosting up or at least getting wet from condensation? (unless you live in a very arid climate like a dessert) If the pipes are getting really cold then the evaporator should be getting cold too. What are your high and low side pressures while the compressor is running?

you might check the air temp. actuator

Gerhard7

Unread post by Gerhard7 » Tue May 26, 2015 2:22 pm

I live in Phoenix Arizona so it is unlikely it will frost up. The only thing frosty here is our ice cubes lol. My pressures are 30 psi on the low side and 100 psi on the high side and the outside temp is 90 degrees F. I believe this is too low correct?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Tue May 26, 2015 10:20 pm

Your high side seems too low. At 90 degrees outside, I think static pressure would be over 100. (103.772)

How much refrigerant did you put in? Systems should have 1.32 lbs. Do you need to add more?

low side at 30 is fine if it keeps the compressor running. 35-40 would be norm. High side should be 150-175. Could go higher, 230-250... depends on temperature and your cooling fan. the more heat the fan can draw away from your condenser the lower the pressure will go. vent temp, center vent on max ac (ac with recirculate on) Fan on low speed should be 56 degrees or slightly lower. Doors closed, windows rolled up...

Arizona will run higher pressures than Oregon, where I'm at, because the temperature will be hotter there but we will get a few days over a hundred when summer hits.