1975 omega

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
sephrin

1975 omega

Unread post by sephrin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:03 pm

1975 omega was running until 2 days ago, it had a rough idle but other than that it was a very smooth ride. the other day i went to start the car and a puff of white smoke came out the carb and it wont fire up, the engine turns, my neighbor is a mechanic and he says it has fuel cause he can smell it, it has compression as far as i know, there are no hisses from a hose leak or anything, neighbor says the spark is yellow, im guessin its supposed to be a color other than yellow, but he and i are both a little confused, it seems to have the 3 main parts of a running engine, but it wont fire up. should i look at the ignition module and the cap and rotor, an all new distributor, or be looking in a completely different area. i have already check the fuses and none are popped, i cant find any melted or burned wires. and it seems that there is fuel getting to the carb, but not to the cylinders, i just tried to start it and pumped some gas in there and when i pulled the spark plug is was completely dry and did not even smell like gas was anywhere near it.

my neighbor and i are both a little stumped by this so any added tips would be wonderful

willwildy

Re: 1975 omega

Unread post by willwildy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:28 am

Sounds like it backfired through the carb. IF it has a holley on it you probably blew the power valve out of it and will need to replace it.

The back fire could have been caused by moisture inside the distributor cap, you should do a good visual inspection on it.

The spark being yellowish isn't a good thing. IT should be blue. Yellow is a very weak spark. Try tightening the plug gap up a bit that might get you a stronger spark even it tends to advance ignition timing just a bit.

Write back after you check these items.

Bill
Click here to make a SMALL DONATION to HELP KEEP US FREE