Fuse #15 functions not working with a good fuse

txcarmel

Fuse #15 functions not working with a good fuse

Unread post by txcarmel » Wed May 07, 2014 6:40 pm

1991 Lincoln Town Car
What can cause functions on a fuse to quit working when the fuse is good?

Recently had to replace my ignition cylinder because the key would not turn off and now everything on fuse#15 is not working (directional signal, flash to pass, ac clutch, rear window defrost, etc). The fuse is good. Also when I replaced the cylinder the key would not turn to Acc. I finally got the key to turn to Acc but now the starter will not engage when I try to crank it. I have the leave the key in the run position and short the starter solenoid to get it to crank. Can there be a problem in the steering column? Could not find anything in my Lincoln Service Manual on any single circuit breaker that protects the #15 fuse functions. I did find 3 separate breakers for the ignition but at a loss if this is my issue. Everything was working fine and had been for years prior to installing the new cylinder. Thanks, Mark

carriedi

Re: Fuse #15 functions not working with a good fuse

Unread post by carriedi » Thu May 08, 2014 11:03 am

First, what part did you actually replace? The ignition switch? (The electrical switch) or the Ignition lock and tumbler? (the part where the key goes in) If you replaced the electrical switch you will have to adjust it so that the key will travel to the end where the starter contacts are. It should have slotted holes where it is bolted to the steering column so you can adjust it for the actuator rod.

the wiring diagram I found for your car shows that power comes out of the A2 and A3 terminals from the ignition switch and powers up fuses 15, 16 and 18. Do you have power at all those fuses? (Do you have power at fuse 15? probably should have asked that first)

Yes, there are things in the steering column that can break and make it so the key won't connect to the ignition switch correctly. But they usually will either break so you can't start the car or break so you can't turn the car off. depending on where it breaks at. It won't usually break so just one section of the circuit won't have power in the fuse box.

So, check for power at those three fuses. If you have power at any of them the switch is working. Check the fuse box to see why you don't have power at all three if any one of them have power. If none of them have power, verify that the ignition switch is adjusted correctly. That's what you have to look at for the key not starting the starter anyways...

so, start with that and let me know what you find
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

txcarmel

Unread post by txcarmel » Thu May 08, 2014 6:04 pm

I only replaced the lock and tumbler. Did not touch the switch. Is there a schematic showing a breakdown of the steering column and things that may break so I can get a better understanding of how the rod and other components work? I had to replace the tumbler because I could not get the key to turn off the engine. I really had to bear down on the key to get it to turn off. I'll check the fuse box for power later and will let you know. Thanks for your help.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Fri May 09, 2014 1:37 am

If you had a problem where you can't turn the engine off but the key does turn back like it should but just feels funny, you probably broke the actuator rack or the actuator rod.

there's a little roll pin that goes in through the top part that holds the actuator rod.
Attachments
ford rack.jpg
ford rack.jpg (12.76 KiB) Viewed 6132 times
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

txcarmel

Unread post by txcarmel » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:00 pm

Thanks for all of the advice. The issue was the ignition switch was burnt at 4 terminals and the wiring connector had melted at those points. I replaced the switch with a Motorcraft replacement and a new harness connector. Costs about $50 total thanks to including a NOS connector on EBAY.