Alarm goes off on 2001 Venture Van

leanne

Alarm goes off on 2001 Venture Van

Unread post by leanne » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:43 pm

hello
i have a 2001 chev venture ls van. I bought it private sale. Works great up until a day ago when the alarm started going off on its own and the locks open and shut on there own. It is scaring me that something might happen. Please help what could be causing this

thanks
leanne

protech

Re: Alarm system

Unread post by protech » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:35 pm

I'm assuming you're talking about the factory alarm, and this is quite common. There is wiring that runs along the floorboard of your vehicle on either side, right next to the door openings (door sills). When moisture gets to the wiring, which is common when the carpet gets wet from rain, wet shoes, snow, etc...there is a corrosion build up, which specifically seems to attack the wiring splices. This is most common on the door lock circuits which also would affect horn going off. You would need to remove the door sill trim plates, and the front seats preferrably. Usually it is the passenger side wiring that corrodes, but I've seen the drivers side have problems as well. Once the trim and seat/seats are removed you can pull back the carpet and examine the wiring harness. Look for any green corrosion or broken wires, you'll probably have to remove any tape or conduit to access all the wires. Repair as necessary.