2006 suburban rsa module illumination doesn't work

Willbaker1

2006 suburban rsa module illumination doesn't work

Unread post by Willbaker1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:27 am

I have a 2006 suburban LT with sunroof and DVD. The rsa module works just fine but none of the bulbs will illuminate when the headlights are on. The actual display works fine but you can't see the controls in the dark. I bought another from eBay and plugged it in. Same problem. Disassembled them and checked the 5 bulbs and they seem good. What am I missing? Also my steering wheel controls don't illuminate except for one button, the back button with the arrow on it. Could this be related? Is there a fuse somewhere that could cause this? Thanks for the help. Just to clarify, it's the controls in the back seat in the console for radio and hvac.

ProTech

Re: 2006 suburban rsa module illumination doesn't work

Unread post by ProTech » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:30 am

These lights just normally go out over time, especially the steering wheel controls. The unit you got off of ebay probably had the same issue and that's why someone sold it. If you're getting power to the unit, which you obviously are, the lights should work if they are good. There isn't a separate feed for the illumination, it's just controlled by the serial data line, and if you had a problem with that, there would be multiple trouble codes set.

Solution: Buy a new GM rear seat audio unit, and new steering wheel controls if you want the lights to work.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Willbaker1

Re: 2006 suburban rsa module illumination doesn't work

Unread post by Willbaker1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. This site is fantastic! Thanks for the quick reply.