98 Chevy 3/4 ton 4X4 hard to start

GrannyJo

98 Chevy 3/4 ton 4X4 hard to start

Unread post by GrannyJo » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:52 am

My truck is hard to start, have to hold accelerator to floor for it to start, seems to idle fast, can smell gas after it starts. The engine is not showing code when hooked to computer. I have replaced the fuel filter but that did not help.

carriedi

Re: 98 Chevy 3/4 ton 4X4 hard to start

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:44 pm

when you had the scanner on it did you look at the coolant temp and the fuel trims?

holding the gas pedal down to start, all the way down to the floor or just down enough to open the throttle?

all the way down while cranking is what is called "clear flood" it shuts off the fuel injectors to allow excess fuel to be cleared from the system. If that is what you have to do, then you have to look for why the engine is getting too much fuel.

If you push the gas pedal down to start but not all the way, then you are opening the throttle that may give it a little more fuel and air flow. You Idle air control solenoid my be dirty or stuck, your throttle body may be coked up. Maybe your fuel pressure is too low not allowing enough fuel to get through. Like a weak fuel pump taking too long to prime up the system. Or a bad check valve in the pump.

was the tool you hooked up a scanner or was it just a code reader?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.