1995 chevy silverado wont idle and stalls when stopping

clay001

1995 chevy silverado wont idle and stalls when stopping

Unread post by clay001 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:15 pm

i have a 1995 silverado 5.7liter 350 engine, i replaced the motor,the other motor had 225,000plus miles. after replacing the motor it will not idle,and stalls out when stopping, also noticed that the motor surges, when applying the throttle it will rev up,but it will try to die off unless you let off accelerator a little and reapply. I had a trouble code of # 22 t.p.s, I replaced the throttle position sensor, m.a.p sensor, and the idle air control sensor,however i am still having the problem, it is throttle body injected, and there arent any other codes showing up.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Clay

TerryAuto

Re: 1995 chevy silverado wont idle and stalls when stopping

Unread post by TerryAuto » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:32 pm

Hello Clay.
Was the engine replaced with a new or used engine?
If used do you have history on it?
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

clay001

Unread post by clay001 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:15 pm

yes sir it was new(rebuilt), I had bought it as a long block,(from an engine supply co.) had bought the truck used, knowing i was going to need to replace the motor,it was running on 5or6 cylinders, compression was bad on 2or3, i was saying this because it was running bad, but not dying out, maybe running so bad that it wasnt dying out?? I used the same intake manifold and throttle body, I have put approx. 1000 miles on this "new motor" my wife and i were working close to each other so truck has been sitting for about 6months. Theres been a change so i need the truck now. I recently started working on it, code scan was saying 22 which according to the book is t.p.s (throttle position sensor) orfuel cutoff relay circuit-open or grounded. I replaced the t.p.s(throttle position sensor),the m.a.p.(manifold absolute pressure sensor), and the i.a.c(intake air control sensor), i have tried to some brake cleaner to check for vaccum leaks havent found any.After replacing the t.p.s reran trouble code scan it came back clean, no trouble codes but truck running the same.

hopefully this will help you help me, there was something on this reply about a donation, i definitely will make one when once i pick your brain and hopefully figured this out, i didnt catch your name on reply but thanx

Clay

clay001

Unread post by clay001 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:23 pm

just for more info, when i was doing engine swap i thoroughly cleaned the throttle body, is there a fuel pressure regulator in it, can it be replaced? is there a way to test? I cant afford to keep throwing money at it replacing parts.

Again thanx
Clay

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:38 pm

The names Terry.
Ok. I was going to say look for a vacuum leak, but you have already. Make sure the brake booster is not leaking. You can unplug the large vacuum hose from it and plug it off to see if that helps.

Check if the EGR valve is stuck open or the gasket is leaking. To check if stuck open, you should be able to get your fingers on the underside and move the diaphram. Also disconnect and plug off the vacuum hose.

You shoud look close at the TPS connector wires. Give a tug on each little wire to see is one of them stretches. If one does, that means the core is broken so the colored insulation will stretch. If your scanner shows engine data, look at TPS voltage with engine off / key on and pressing gas slowly to the floor. The reading should increase smoothly.

On the throittle body injected, the regulator it located on top of the throttle, by the injectors, but that does not sound like your problem unless it is blowing black smoke.

Check ignition timing. The distributor may be off a little.

Also, you say the other engine was running bad? If it way running bad for a while, the catalytic converter may be plugged. Disconnect them and see how it runs.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

MykelW

Unread post by MykelW » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:15 am

Hoping I can get in on this conversation. I have the same issue, I have checked all of the conventional repair and diagnosis ideas and cannot resolve. The TBI injectors are getting a good signal and I can watch the pulse and inject fuel in the start mode and immediately peter out in the idle mode. I have run a jumper wire to the ground on both injectors and am able to make the engine run at idle by tapping the ground on the battery. I find no vacuum leaks and can see the EGR function.
Very stumped. Looking for any insight.
Thank you.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:43 am

you're probably going to need to have someone scan your truck and have a lab scope to verify what is happening with your fuel injectors.

Since you can supply your own ground for the injectors and keep the engine running then we should look at the injector pulse width. What the scanner shows the computer pulse width signal is and compare it to the lab scope. Things that will affect the pulse width is the mass air flow sensor, coolant temp sensor, O2 sensor, throttle position sensor and the distributor. You should be able to scan for codes first and then look at the data stream to see what the truck is doing.

have you checked your fuel pressure? you may get the truck to run by supplying ground and turning the injectors on but you may be holding the injectors on longer allowing more fuel than the computer is allowing. Need to check what the computer is doing on the ground side of the injector
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Unread post by Guest » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:59 am

On 95 chevy that's still want stay crank and still stalls out.
This is Amy from ms down south..just by chance have u check to see. About catalytic onverter could be stopped up, and/or donnut gaskets could have ur pips stopped up where u are getting little air out. And from my experience. . I have had to cut catalytic converter out just for my 96 Chevy to run

Amymitchellowens

Unread post by Amymitchellowens » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:18 am

This is Amy from down south Mississippi. . I read what your having probloms with.. I had the same probloms out of my 96 Chevy Z71 350.. By shit and giggles have u check the calla converters. My 96 Chevy was doing the same thing and throwing the same codes.. and I check mine and they where so so badly stopped up.... and I took them out. And put glass packs underneth my Chevy .. just taking the stopped up calla converters out my truck.. I could tell a really big difference. . From where it would not run right.. and dieing and not ideal. . To doing what it's suppose to do..... Just thought I should let you know..
Maybe this will fix everything. ..
If so grats.. but if not.. I have no clue