1995 Chevrolet Silverado Exhaust Blows Black Smoke

sweetnsassyjenn

1995 Chevrolet Silverado Exhaust Blows Black Smoke

Unread post by sweetnsassyjenn » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:42 am

I just recently bought my 95' Chevy Silverado with a v8 a little over 2 weeks ago, and a few days ago after just driving for about 5 minutes well I was doing more idling than driving but when I got to a stop sign the truck stalled out and I noticed white and black smoke blowing out of the exhaust the truck started again with no problems but it was still blowing out smoke, I pulled over on the side of the road after a few feet since I was blowing so much that it was engulfing the truck, I turned the truck off which it acted like it has stalled out again because it didnt turn right off after I turned the key it made a noise as if it has stalled out again, well I let it sit a couple minutes and then I started it back up so I could get home which was only a couple of blocks away. It was still blowing smoke but it was getting less and less until it was back to normal. When I got to the house I let it sit for like 30 minutes to an hour and we started it back up. It blew a little smoke but then cleared up after. We drove it again just to go get our mail and it didnt blow smoke but after a few minutes it started again but then cleared up again after a few minutes. We have not drove it again yet because we do not want to cause more damage to whatever is going on, We had noticed the truck was leaking anti-freeze and we cant figure out from where and we looked to see if oil might be mixing with the anitfreeze but the anti-freeze looked and smelled normal. Some people have thought it might be the head gasket and others do not know. Also the smoke has an antifreeze smell and there is no smoke coming from under the hood. If it may be the head gasket what would be the chances that the head is cracked or warped? Ya the previous owner was driving the truck with no antifreeze in the resevoir. Just wondering what you thought it might be.

butchkaz
Site Admin

Re: truck exhaust issues

Unread post by butchkaz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:09 pm

Yes, sure sounds like a head or head gasket problem.
You can remove the plugs and look for signs of burning coolant.
If previous owner drove with out coolant for any amount of time, chances are good the heads are wrped or cracked.
If you get them removed, suggest sending to a machine shop to check for flatness and cracks. Headhasket may have been the original problem, but driving this way may have caused more damage- cracked / warped heads.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

sweetnsassyjenn

Re: truck exhaust issues

Unread post by sweetnsassyjenn » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:15 am

butchkaz wrote:Yes, sure sounds like a head or head gasket problem.
You can remove the plugs and look for signs of burning coolant.
If previous owner drove with out coolant for any amount of time, chances are good the heads are wrped or cracked.
If you get them removed, suggest sending to a machine shop to check for flatness and cracks. Headhasket may have been the original problem, but driving this way may have caused more damage- cracked / warped heads.

The smoke and everything just started Friday of last week and we have not drove it since, We have had a head crack in a previous vehicle but at that time it was over heating and smoke was coming out from under the hood also. If the head needs to be repaired we are just thinking about putting a new motor in, it might cost a little more but the motor that is in the truck now has 260,000 miles on it so it wouldnt be worth fixing for that much money.