why is my tahoe chugging?

bbundy

why is my tahoe chugging?

Unread post by bbundy » Mon May 24, 2010 12:54 pm

Recently our 99 Tahoe started to have a slight chug or jerk to it. Now it does it really badly. The rpms never move when it does this and the check engine light finally came on. Do you think its the trasmission or something with the gas. It also gets terrible gas mileage..

Terry uto

Re: why is my tahoe chugging?

Unread post by Terry uto » Mon May 24, 2010 10:23 pm

Getting the codes pulled form the computer is the key to diagnosing this problem.
A chug or jerking can just be a misfire. Nomally a misfire under accerleration is a bad spark plug wire, coil or spark plug.
But with the bad gas mileage, you may have a different problem. Get the codes scanned. Most of the large national parst store chains will do this for free.

jim

no power 2003 tahoe

Unread post by jim » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:27 pm

having acceleration problems with stalling codes p0120 and p0220.

mastertech

Re: no power 2003 tahoe

Unread post by mastertech » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:42 pm

Check for poor grounds at the back of each cylinder head.

You may need a new throttle body.

jim

Unread post by jim » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:24 pm

thank you for your reply i will check that ive been an import technician for several years this is just an odd problem because somtimes the dang thing will run perfect and everything ive ohmed out seems to be within in specs

mastertech

Unread post by mastertech » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:37 pm

OK since your a tech I can give you a more in depth diagnosis procedure.

1. Check pin terminal connections at the plug to the throttle assembly underhood.

2. Probe a voltmeter to the Dark Green wire at the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and monitor for a glitch in the signal voltage.

3. Inspect the Yellow Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) motor control circuit #581 about 1 inch to 4 inches from the throttle body connector to see if it is broken inside of the insulation. (There is a tsb on this)

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:52 am

if the code is cleared and doesn't come back right away it could be an intermittent problem. That being said, if it is intermittent, all the resistances may check out normal. you should drive it with a graphing scanner hooked up and hopefully while you are driving the problem pops up and you can look at the graph to see what signal to check out. There is a TSB about the wire harness connector having breaks inside the insulation and there are some that say it could go back as far as ten inches from the connector.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.