Chevy Impala 2006 Wont Crank Sometimes

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
blissfullymarried

2002 impala security problem

Unread post by blissfullymarried » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:44 pm

I replaced all the ignition I have been through the relearn process. The car is still having issues. Sometimes it will start fine but the security light will be on but it runs fine. Other time it drags real bad or just wont crank. I can keep trying and at some point it will start. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with this car. I used a scan tool the only code was a crank position sensor. Please note all the ignition parts came from a junk yard.

carriedi

Re: 2002 impala security problem

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:22 am

your ignition switch sends a programmed voltage to the body control module (BCM) That enables the fuel injection system in the RUN section in the ignition switch. If, while you drive or after you start your car the BCM doesn't see the key voltage (open circuit) the security light will come on and stay on. As long as you don't clear codes or disconnect the BCM the car will start normally but the light will stay on. If you disconnect the BCM or clear codes the car will no longer start. The BCM will look for the key signal now because you have cleared the open circuit mode and you must fix the problem. Most likely the signal through the ignition switch. Very small wires.

This will not affect long crank times usually. Usually, the car will start in crank but die in the run part. Verify that you have voltage to the BCM from the key. Relearn after fix. Of course if you run the battery down after a lot of cranking... If you know you get a crank code look at the freeze frame and see when you got the code.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Willy33

Chevy Impala 2006 Wont Crank Sometimes

Unread post by Willy33 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:02 pm

I have a 2006 Chevy Impala that won't turn crank over. Nothing comes on when I open up any of the doors. Nothing works on the remote start or door lock buttons remote. When I put the key into the ignition and turn it, dash lights up but it just won't turn over. It happens about almost once a month.

The last time it happened a guy told me to tighten the gas cap because of a code for that. There are no codes in it now. But anywasy, I turned it about three turns and damn if it didn't start. I am sure just a coincedense.

This week I replaced the positive battery cable terminal and cleaned both posts. The battery is only a few months old. I had it tested anyway, and it shows fine. Any help would be great.

ProTech

Re: Chevy Impala 2006 Wont Crank Sometimes

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:33 pm

Definitely an electrical issue somewhere, whether it be a module that won't wake up or a wiring problem. Problems like this are extremely difficult to diagnose over the internet since I can't actually see or be there when it happens. I would recommend re-scanning the car for any codes. Make sure whoever does it has a scanner capable of retrieving body control module and theft deterrent codes. You could have an issue in one of those modules and the regular code scanners at auto parts stores and basic ones that some guys have just won't do the trick.

Your absolute best bet would be to have it act up while a technician can be looking at it. Yeah, that's the hard part if it doesn't do it all the time.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

tururu

Re: Chevy Impala 2006 Wont Crank Sometimes

Unread post by tururu » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:45 pm

Did you fix your car. Mine does exacly the same.. I need help