car is undrivable

chburnham

car is undrivable

Unread post by chburnham » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:21 am

For the past while my car has been starting to act up. After driving for awhile the dash
will die and the dic will pop up service stability system, service anti lock brakes and so
forth. the radio will turn off as well. Sometimes after awhile the speedo will turn back on
but the rest of the dash won't work. Sometimes it'll pop up and say charging system
failure but that is very rare.

carriedi

Re: car is undrivable

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:44 pm

some of the GM instrument clusters have a solder joint break loose where the plug in connectors goes through the circuit board. Something to check anyways. you should check for codes with a scanner. check for your power to the cluster and radio.

year, make, model and engine would help with wiring issues
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

chburnham

Unread post by chburnham » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:50 pm

Sorry, silly me it's a 04 gtp. I've run scans when it's acting up and after it has and I don't get anything.

chburnham

Unread post by chburnham » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:39 pm

So new update. On another board it was mentioned that maybe the alt was bad and they wanted to know what it was charging at so I went out to crank it and it wont crank. turn the key and the lights come on but dash is pretty much dead. engine light comes on as it normally would when you first turn key to on position but that's all it'll do. Turn the key to crank and nothing no click nothing. hooked a jump box to battery just to be sure it wasn't that and still same. Headlights and interior lights are bright as can be with or without jump box so battery seems fully charged. Hooked my scanner to it and it won't communicate with the car.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:54 am

if your headlights were dim before you hooked up your jump box but then are bright after you hooked up your jump box even if you take it off, you have a battery connection problem at the battery terminals. That may or may not be related to your dash problem.

If you leave your headlights on and try to start your engine, do the headlights dim when you turn the ignition switch to the start position? or do they stay bright? If they stay bright then you are not getting a connection all the way to the starter.

Ignition switch could cause problems like not getting power to your cluster and/or radio and now the starter. However it wouldn't be the ignition switch if parts of the cluster work and other parts do not. your dash is a separate computer module. Does your scanner have the instrument cluster choice to scan for codes does it only do the check engine light? (engine systems) Instrument cluster should have it's own category. (ie. engine, trans, abs, instrument cluster, SRS, etc.) The cluster does not look at each individual sender for gauge information. It gets the gauge info. as a data stream and converts it to the gauges. So, if some gauges work and others don't it could be a stepper motor problem. if they all don't work it could be a circuit board problem or a serial data problem.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Shawn

Unread post by Shawn » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:26 pm

Sounds like you just need to go ahead and replace both the alternator and the battery. It sounds like the car was driven on just the battery because the alternator was not charging it. No amount of battery jump box will bring the battery back to life. That's why the code scanner won't communicate with the car, and all the electrical issues. I've had an issue with this before and had to replace both. Worked like a charm! Good luck!!