2005 pontiac grand prix check gas cap and check engine light

john2674

2005 pontiac grand prix check gas cap and check engine light

Unread post by john2674 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:29 pm

I had my check gas cap and check engine lights go on and i replaced the gas cap and they went off and a few days later there back on so i just replaced the vent valve solenoid and the lights are still on so i was wondering if it takes time for the check lights to go off or do i still have a problem?

ProTech

Re: 2005 pontiac grand prix check gas cap and check engine l

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:35 pm

You should really get the car scanned to see what codes exactly are stored in the system. You may be replacing parts that you don't need to.

At any rate, if you did fix the problem, it can take many drive cycles to clear current or history trouble codes. So, to answer your question, yes it can a lot of time. If you got it scanned and saw that the codes had passed you would know you fixed the problem and could just clear the codes and you'd be good. If there is a current problem, that would require additional diagnosis obviously.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:12 pm

did you buy your gas cap from the dealer? a lot ot aftermarket caps may not seal correctly. Verify what the check engine light came on for. It will probably be the same as the gas cap light which means that there is a leak to atmosphere somewhere. The gas cap light is just suggesting to look at the cas cap first.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

john2674

Unread post by john2674 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Thanks guys i did get a code scanner and it was what i changed now im just waiting for the catlyst and evap monitors to turn to ready so i can get it inspected.