2003 grand Prix: new fuel pump not working

JimmyHelterbrand

2003 grand Prix: new fuel pump not working

Unread post by JimmyHelterbrand » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:15 pm

I have a 2003 Grand Prix SE, I have replaced the fuel pump with a new one and the relay switch is clicking when the key is turned, regardless, the fuel pump is not kicking on. Any suggestions where to go next?

ProTech

Re: 2003 grand Prix: new fuel pump not working

Unread post by ProTech » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:18 pm

Can you tell my why you replaced the fuel pump in the first place? Did it run prior to your repairs?
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

JimmyHelterbrand

Unread post by JimmyHelterbrand » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:45 am

It would not start and taking the fuel line off of the filter produced no fuel. Assumed fuel pump was not working.

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:19 am

Ok, so if the relay clicks, you know at least the PCM is telling the fuel pump to turn on and so the wiring from there should be ok. You might want to check and make sure you're getting power at the fuel pump connector, and check ground also. You could have a wiring issue somewhere along that area.

Also, if the new fuel pump you installed came with a new connector that you had to wire in, make sure you've got all the terminals correct.

If you've got a check engine light on, or security light on, either of those can disable fuel, so you'd want to get the car scanned and see what codes are present.

JimmyHelterbrand

Unread post by JimmyHelterbrand » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:55 pm

I verified the placement of all wires to the new module plug by matching the letters on the terminals. I am currently on my second Delhi fuel pump that produces the same result, pump kicking on, cutting off after a few seconds, but no fuel is coming from the flow line. There is a junction box that the fuel module wires go to. How do I knnow if its bad?

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:27 am

I'd recommend checking the terminals once again. I actually got burned on one before by putting A to A, B to B, etc. That is what you'd think should work, but the actual terminals on the factory connector don't translate to the new one, and I've seen included directions with a new pump be wrong also. Just something to consider, it may not be that, but it sure sounds like something in that area isn't right. Also, I highly doubt the block on the body is bad, never seen that before. You can check it by testing for power and ground before it and after it, that would tell you it's ok.

JimmyHelterbrand

Unread post by JimmyHelterbrand » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:40 pm

If the letters should not be trusted, what can I use to ensure correct placement? In your experience are the colors on the wires more or less reliable?

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:25 pm

What brand fuel pump did you install? Where did you purchase it at?

JimmyHelterbrand

Unread post by JimmyHelterbrand » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:11 am

the first pump I tried was a Delphi. when I ordered the replacemendt, I got a Performance. Both fuel pumps were purchased at the local O'Reilley's store.