Power Steering locked up while driving my 02 Buick Century.

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
Mike84

Power Steering locked up while driving my 02 Buick Century.

Unread post by Mike84 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:16 pm

I was turning right when my Steering wheel locks up!
So I pull over and somehow regain control then drove home and checked my new power steering pump and the power steering reservoir is full.

I never had this happen before and I had recent work done on my car I had a new power steering pump and AC Condenser along with a new radiator aswell a new radiator support put into my vehicle.

I would very much like to know exactly what is wrong with my car and how much it will cost yo repair?

carriedi

Re: Power Steering locked up while driving my 02 Buick Centu

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:18 pm

I would talk to the people that replaced your power steering pump first. Why was it replaced?

when you say your steering wheel locked up, what does that mean? did you loose power steering or did the wheel actually lock up and you can't turn it at all? there are mechanical things and there are power assist things that might be in play here. When you say you regained control what does that mean? How did you do that? or did everything just start working normally again?

did you hear any noise when this happened? like belt squealing or anything? if a belt driven component froze up it could stop you belt from turning the power steering pump...

like I said in the beginning though, you should talk to the place that did your power steering pump and have them check it out.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

brobud

Unread post by brobud » Sat May 23, 2015 9:52 am

In my 04 LaSabre the steering is hard at idle. I have changed the pump 2 times with no help. i have also bled the air out at the rack ..need help.brobud

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat May 23, 2015 1:15 pm

getting a reman defective pump is not uncommon. Do you know if you got a new or a remanufactured pump? The remote reservoir could have a screen that is getting clogged too. The control valve in the power steering rack could also be a problem. Without testing the actual power steering pressure you're going to be replacing parts until you finally see the results you desire.

are there any other symptoms other than reduced power steering assist at idle? Any noises or vibration in the steering wheel?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.