07 Malibu Airbag module

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
ndfastln

07 Malibu Airbag module

Unread post by ndfastln » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:07 am

Can anyone tell me where the air bag control module is located on an 2007 Malibu?

Meccboy

Re: 07 Malibu Airbag module

Unread post by Meccboy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:39 pm

Yes, the Airbag module, also called the Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM), is located under the carpet,
under the center console.
The center console will have to come out. After replacement, the SDM and possibly a few other modules will need to be re-programmed.
:shock:

Paul

Re: 07 nMalibu Airbag module

Unread post by Paul » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:51 pm

Not easy getting that module out of there thats for sure.

Blankenship

Unread post by Blankenship » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:55 pm

Be sure to take it to the dealer to get the computer programming done.
Mechanic will have to re-flash that airbag module, the body control module (BCM), and maybe another compouter.
Will cost 1 hour labor.

SarahK

2005 Malibu SIR Warning Light

Unread post by SarahK » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:06 pm

Does anyone know if this module is the problem on my 2005 Chevy Malibu. I also have the SIR light on the dash. I have not taken it to the mechanic yet to get the computer scan for codes. But I have read online a lot of people saying that their module was bad and it cost $600 to fix the problem. Is there any way to tell if this part is bad without taking it to the mechanic. I can take it to my local AutoZone and they can scan it for free. But I don't know if they can scan the airbag computer module. I have taken my car there before when the check engine light came on. I had a code that was something about that EVAP system. It said a large leak. I believe the code was P0455. My husband replaced the event valve solenoid in the back of the car and the SES light went out. Hoping it can be a simple repair like that.

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:06 pm

AutoZone cannot scan the airbag computer. The only way to test test it is with a schematic, testlight and multimeter. Even if you get the codes scan you will need an experienced mechanic to diagnose it properly.

No, these modules are not very common to fail. On the older body styles they failed when the car had a water leak and the floor got soaked. In those older Chevy Malibus the module was under the passenger seat and got coroded from the water. Many times the harness would need to be replaced also.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.