2001 Ram van 3500 regular fuel

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Dodge and Chrysler questions.
jamie

2001 Ram van 3500 regular fuel

Unread post by jamie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:24 am

i have a 2001 ram van 3500 standard fuel....This thing will not run right...Lets start by saying the booms are so loud they have blown the muffler apart...Ive changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ditributor, map sensor, idle air control sensor, throttle pos sensor, fuel pump, o2 sensor upstream, coil, battery, crank shaft position sensor and the pcm....ok sometimes when i start this thing it cranks over immediately but it almost seems like its a diesal running and is not responsive to giving it gas...Nothing! But yet its getting fuel because its running. So i shut it off and try again and then it starts up normal and i can go...However when i go its going boom boom boom down the road like M80's going off....10 minuts later in the middle of driving that other mode kicks in and i cant go no where....gotta shut it off n try again until regular mode idle works again? Whats really going on here???

carriedi

Re: 2001 Ram van 3500 regular fuel

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:49 am

you're going to need to drive it with a scanner hooked up and see what the scanner shows while it is acting up. You changed to upstream O2 sensor but what was it doing? And what does it do now? did you use OE sensor? (makes a difference a lot of times)

is your motor a v8 or the v10?

you might want to check your timing components. Crankshaft key, timing chain play... exhaust getting plugged up
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

jamie

Unread post by jamie » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:35 am

Its the V8..... a code came up once that said crankshaft sensor or crankshaft belt is stretched. There is no belt its a chain....however this code has been cleared out and that code has never returned. The code that does keep coming back is P1391.... intermittent loss of power cmp or ckp...the crankshaft position sensor is new tho....perhaps a bad wire?

jamie

Unread post by jamie » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:58 am

And yes its an oe o2 sensor. And intermittent loss of cmp or ckp....I said loss of power and it don't say that

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:35 pm

p1391 is a problem with the cam and crank sensor not matching up. Use a graphing scanner and watch the can and the crank sensor as you run the engine. they should stay in sync and counters should count up to their max and then restart. look for any glitches or drop outs. the wires for the cam sensor sometimes will break right were they go into the cap. I have seen the distributor shutter plate inside the distributor get loose and screw up the cam sensor signal before. you can also use the scanner to set sync. adjusting the distributor to adjust sync if it is out of spec.

Flex plate damage could also set off the cam/crk code.

jamie

Unread post by jamie » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:14 pm

I'm Trying to understand what I've read here completely. I understand most of what you said Except for the Can sensor Going into or under the cap.....the crank shaft sensor don't touch the cap rotor or distributor in any way...I don't Believe There's a Can sensor as its the same principal as a crank shaft sensor correct? All these parts are new too. Yes it is possible that there's a faulty part however the van is throwing this same code as b4... the mechanic himself is puzzled. He's not a master mechanic but the Guy knows a bit....this is outa his hands and that's why I'm talking with you...Gotta try the timing thing like you said....another thing I heard is that with some partsyou have to Actually get from Chrysler themselves or it wont run correctly. The mechanic said he's found that to be true with Or aftermarket relays....true or false?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:49 pm

there is a cam sensor and a crank sensor. the crank sensor measures marks in the flex plate or flywheel as it goes around to tell the computer engine timing for spark. the cam sensor is a hall effect sensor in the distributor for fuel synchronization. A scanner can watch both signals and see if they are in "sync" or synchronized. Or you can go in and set sync by adjusting the distributor just like you used to set ignition timing. (with a scanner watching the amount to set to spec)

Yes, original equipment is said to be more conforming to spec because many aftermarket parts may be made to fit more than just one vehicle spec. But, even OE parts have been known to fail right out of the box. And many aftermarket parts work fine. But you need to have the equipment to monitor the parts to see if they are working correctly. (i.e. graphing scanner)

jamie

Unread post by jamie » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:26 am

Ive spoke with my buddy mechanic and he just told me that originally he said the same thing and called three places for a cam shaft sensor...NAPA,Car quest and advanced auto and all three places said theres no cam sensor for that van....only a crank shaft sensor. could it be called a different name? Or is that the distributors job?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:38 am

NAPA line ECH # MP846, the distributor pick up is the cam sensor. It is the hall effect that goes into the distributor. Aftermarket has had these type of sensors before the common use of crank sensors. Older Chrysler's used this type of sensor in the distributor for rpm and ignition reference. Later models use a separate crank sensor and this hall effect became used as the cam sensor. some aftermarket's have not updated their names to reflect their current use.

remember to check the shutter on the distributor shaft (pulse ring). make sure it is not loose or damaged. That could throw off the sensor signal on an otherwise good cam sensor
Attachments
dodge cam sensor.jpg
dodge cam sensor.jpg (109.71 KiB) Viewed 3921 times