Saturn SL2 overheating now wont start

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Saturn questions.
ymsaturn

Saturn SL2 overheating now wont start

Unread post by ymsaturn » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:52 am

I have a 98 Saturn sl2. I recently had an overheating problem but thermostat changed and havent thus far. Now a couple days later my car won't start. It cranks but doesn't turn over. It has new plugs and wires, starter a year old, battery good, fuel pump working so what other suggestions should I try?

carriedi

Re: Saturn SL2 overheating now wont start

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:06 pm

key on engine off fuel pressure should be 40-55psi. (if the fuel pump and pressure regulator are working normally) Have you checked to see if you have spark for the spark plugs? You should check for injector pulse too. If you have no spark and/or injector pulse check the crank position sensor. They will go out and the computer won't see the engine cranking over.

Coolant temp can also flood the engine if it's is reading the temp wrong. also look at the connector fro corrosion. (green-like rust in the connector terminals-if they are corroded you should replace the connector too)

Is the security light flashing or on? If the security light flashes you may have lost the signal to the passlock module.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

ToriS

Car fans

Unread post by ToriS » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:30 pm

When I crank up my fans start and stays on until my car turns off, any help is greatly appreciated?

carriedi

Re: Car fans

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:47 am

it could be that your fan relay is stuck in the on position but more than likely it is your coolant fan switch/sensor. Depending on the vehicle, you would have something that tells the fan the engine is hot enough to require the fan to cool it back down. Some cars have a temperature switch that goes to a relay to turn on the fan. others go through the computer to tell the fan relay to turn on. If the sensor/switch goes open the default is to turn the fan on. Better to have the fan on and not need it that to not have the fan come on and possibly overheat the engine.

I would need to know what make, model, year and engine to be more specific

ToriS

Unread post by ToriS » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:51 am

Ok thanks I have a 2008 Saturn Aura 3.5 v6 engine

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:35 am

ok, on your car the ECM controls the fan relays. You need to scan the engine to see if/why the computer is turning the fans on. Check the coolant temp switch. the AC will also turn on the fans.

ToriS

Unread post by ToriS » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:43 am

Ok advanced scanned it and it showed the thermostat but my car ain't ran hot thank God, and my AC want even click on now when I turn it on, but before all this it was working fine.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:49 pm

Advanced scanned it and what was the code number?

thermostat too hot or thermostat too cold?

If the coolant sensor doesn't read right, saying the car is too hot even though the actual temperature may be fine, the computer could turn the fans on and shut down the AC thinking it needs to cool down the engine.

Ask advanced to scan your car again and find out what the code number is. See if they can look at what the temperature sensor reads. See if the temperature sensor is reading too high.

ToriS

Unread post by ToriS » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:03 pm

Ok thank you so much I will get it checked again and get the codes.