Saturn Ion Brake Lights that come on and off

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Saturn questions.
margieingram

Saturn Ion Brake Lights that come on and off

Unread post by margieingram » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:12 pm

I have a 2006 Saturn Ion and my brake light comes on and out when the car is in motion. It also comes on when I make a left hand turn. The light will either come on for abut 10 seconds, but lately within the last couple of days it has stayed on as long as 20 minutes before going off. I recently has my back brakes done (May) and have had a coil repaired that was causing the car to shut off. What could be causing this?

carriedi

Re: Saturn Ion Brake Lights that come on and off

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:33 am

you should check for voltage in the light blue wire on your brake light switch when the light is staying on. If you have battery voltage when you are not stepping on the brake switch the switch is bad. you should have power on the orange wire to the brake switch all the time. Stepping on the brake pedal closes the contacts to allow voltage to travel through the switch to tell the body control module to turn on the brake lights in the rear of the vehicle. If you do not have power on the light blue wire when the brake lights are staying on you may have a problem with the body control module.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.