1999 Odyessy,seal replace

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Honda questions now.
honrob29el

replacing mounts on 02 Honda Odyssey van

Unread post by honrob29el » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:34 am

A mechanic told me that there is a crack in the front mount of my 02 Honda Odyssey van and he would replace it for $450. I took it to my regular import mechanic who told me that when the front mount is replaced the side mounts should be replaced also, and his fee for the job was a little over $1000. I have only 53,000 miles on the van and it is running smoothly with no vibration or roughness. What should I do? ellen

TerryAuto

Re: replacing mounts on 02 Honda Odyssey van

Unread post by TerryAuto » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:31 am

Hello Ellen.
Anytime an engine mount has a crank in it, it should be taken care as soon as possible. It will only get worse. Since it is a front mount, that means the engine is probably starting to move more than it should when your Honda is put into drive, or when accelerating. The front of the engine will be moving upward. That is the direction the engine wants to move. In reverse the engine wants to move the other direction, so no problem there.

Most likely the reason the dealer mechanic wants to replace the others is because when one is bad, it tends to put more stress on the others. So he may have saw the others were weak, or he just suggests it as preventative.

If you do not hear any loud banging or feel jerking when putting your van in drive or when hitting the gas, i would just go ahead and replace the one that is broke and keep an ear out for any nosies in the future.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

honrob29el

Unread post by honrob29el » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:02 am

:D Thanks, TerriAuto for what sounds like a sensible route to take with my motor mount. It surely helps when I have gotten conflicting advice and am at present a little short of money due to first of year bills, tax time approaching, etc. Thank you!
Ellen

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:31 pm

Glad to help. Come visit us again.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

zohaa

Unread post by zohaa » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:22 am

gauge keeps rising as the engine gets hotter, and sometimes heater blows cold air

naf

1999 Odyessy,seal replace

Unread post by naf » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:49 pm

1999 Honda Odyessy,redid the front oil seal,timing belt,water pump,new belts, this is the second time ,new parts again,still doin the idle vibration,and grinding noise,noise is not constant,,grinding seems to start after warm or a mile or 2?,noise definetly on the passenger side of motor,puzzling

carriedi

Re: 1999 Odyessy,seal replace

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:30 pm

did the shop that did the timing belt hear the noise and check for it?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

naf

Re: 1999 Odyessy,seal replace

Unread post by naf » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:58 am

they are checking it all ,its a bummer when you do preventive maintenance and its all out a wack,cant seem to find it ,Im thinkin maybe a motormount ,top passenger side was replaced ,maybe? will keep pushing and tryin for answers,puzzling,rubbing.or grinding sound is not always present,comes and goes ,always comes back,nothing when first started ,then a few min it starts to make the noise,maybe get another opinion,another set of ears!