Head Rest Removal for middle row of Tahoe

dougjustice

Tahoe rear door automatic locks

Unread post by dougjustice » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi, I have a 2004 Tahoe. The rear door locks became intermittent (both sides) a while back, now will not unlock with FOB or the panel on driver door. However, they do lock with either way. I was told it was probably actuators, so I replaced one side, guess what? Same deal. They will lock with either the FOB or on the driver door panel, but will not unlock with either. So, it is clearly not the actuator. What in the heck can cause this? Thank you very much. Doug

ProTech

Re: Tahoe rear door automatic locks

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:13 pm

If it's not an actuator problem, more than likely you have a wiring issue somewhere. Sometimes the wires can break inside the doors, or near the pass-through between the body and door inside the rubber boot. If you've lost either signal, it can affect both doors. This can be a difficult problem to actually pin down as there are so many places to check the wiring. If you have decent electrical knowledge, I would recommend getting a schematic and start by tracing the circuit that powers the unlock side of the circuit. You can be sure the ground is good since the doors actually lock. It could be anything from a faulty master switch, or a wiring problem like I mentioned before.

If you have a self powered test light, this can come in handy to probe each wire and then operate the locks via each switch and watch to see if it's getting both power and ground as it should each different direction.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

qqslick

Head Rest Removal for middle row of Tahoe

Unread post by qqslick » Fri May 10, 2013 10:21 am

I would like to remove the Middle Row Head Rest from my 03 Tahoe. These rest are attached different from the front row rest. They will fold back but cause there to be less room for the third row passengers and cause problems with visibility when up for the driver. Can the middle row Rest be removed? :?:

ProTech

Re: Head Rest Removal for middle row of Tahoe

Unread post by ProTech » Fri May 10, 2013 10:34 am

Unfortunately, the headrests on the middle row seats (if equipped with the fold-back headrests) are not removable. They are part of the seatback frame with the folding mechanism built into it.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+