2005 Chevy Venture runs rough but doesnt quit

gfxking

2005 Chevy Venture runs rough but doesnt quit

Unread post by gfxking » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:55 pm

i have a 2005 chevy venture van with a 3400 sfi v6, here's the problem the car cranks perfectly and idles great but after driving it for 15 mins. or so the check engine light blinks and it loses power dramatically, the motor idles real rough but does not quit. after turning it off and letting it sit for five mins.it cranks and runs fine until it seems it heats back up and then it does it again. but it does not do it all the time. especially in the morning when its cooler outside. any clues ?????

gfxking

Re: 2005 Chevy Venture runs rough but doesnt quit

Unread post by gfxking » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:45 pm

would the line from the pcv valve that goes into the top of the intake and back to the evap switch have anything to do with it????

ProTech

Re: 2005 Chevy Venture runs rough but doesnt quit

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:50 pm

Sounds like you definitely have a heat related problem which is usually caused when a certain sensor glitches out after it get hots, or the vehicle has been driven a while. I don't think the line from the pcv would have anything to do with it, since if it was bad, or was causing a vacuum leak, the problem would happen all the time cold or hot.

Since the check engine light is blinking, it's obviously sensing a misfire condition when the van is running rough. It most likely would have set a misfire code, and possibly any other code that is related to the problem. You may want to get it scanned just to check those codes since that can help lead you in the correct direction for diagnosis.

Some things I've seen cause issues like this would be a faulty crank sensor, cam sensor, or ignition module. Any of those can be affected by engine heat and be fine again after it cools off.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+