97 chevy venture Eletrical problem

Bobbysommy

Venture Van engine replacement problem

Unread post by Bobbysommy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:32 am

put in new engine. failed inspection. they said computer has to reset itself. how do I know when it does that?

Meccboy

Re: engine replacement

Unread post by Meccboy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:38 pm

It sounds like the problem is that the computer has not run all the tests that the emissions testing station computer needs ot see. these are called I/M flags. Basically the cars computer has to run tests on all the systems and either give it a pass or fail. If the test is still listed as "Not run" then you will fail the emissions test. There are many different parameters that must be met in order for the car to run all the different tests. Basically drive the car for a few days normally, and they should all run, weather or not they pass or fail will also detemine if the check engine light comes on, and the car passes or fails the emission test.

harlan

97 chevy venture Eletrical problem

Unread post by harlan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:00 pm

I have several eletrical problems with my van however I have traced the problem back to the underhood fuse block it is full of corrossion and not supplying power to many components however I can not locate the part the dealer says its discontinued also the local junk yard only has a 2002 oldsmobile shilouette how ever the pins are not the same i am prepared to move the wires what do i have to do to get the new fuse block to work

ProTech

Re: 97 chevy venture Eletrical problem

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:39 pm

Unfortunately, you will not be able to use the newer fuse block. Even though you might think you can change some pins or wire locations, you cannot change the internals of the fuse block which are completely different than your 97 model.

You are going to have to locate the proper one for your van one way or another. You might try going back to the dealership and having them do a search for any other dealer in the country that might have that part in stock still. They can do this for you when a part is discontinued and not available to order right from GM. If one is available at some other dealer, they can have it shipped to your local dealership. Otherwise, keep searching junkyards and online.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+