2000 BuicK Regal Cuts off while driving

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
alisa74

2000 BuicK Regal Cuts off while driving

Unread post by alisa74 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:39 am

2000 Buick regal V6 3800 series II Supercharged. Car was running fine... then gears seemed to stick a little bit... but i would let off gas and it would proceed to go in gear... It has did this on and off for a few weeks. Then One day it just cut off while driving home. I tried to start it back up, but it would not engage, similar to if I was OUT of gas. (BUt I had A full Tank) I then waited for a few minutes...it actually started up and I drove it for a second, then it cut off again. I walked home and deceided to come back in 3 hours to check on it. The car started right up..I drove it home (about 1 mile) it then cut off in my driveway. I go outside the next day, it will start up, and then after running for about 4 minutes, it will cut off again. ANY ideas would be so appreciated.

Thanks

butchkaz
Site Admin

Re: 2000 BuicK Regal Cuts off while driving

Unread post by butchkaz » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:16 pm

Several possibilities:
Fautly crank shaft position sensor. Though these usually only fail when hot, then are OK after cool down.
Bad ignition control module.
Failing fuel pump. You would need to test fuel pressure when it stalls and wont re-start.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

alisa74

Unread post by alisa74 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:20 pm

Thanks for the reply. Update: I had a mobile repairman come over yesterday. He checked my fuel pressure, and said fuel pressure is fine..so we can RULE OUT the fuel pump. He hooked up the machine to try to find a code...but NO codes are showing up..and the check engine light is not on. The car was starting and running perfect when cold..then after 4 minutes the car just gets weak and cuts off. He also had a temp gage that he was testing temperatures UNDER the car...he noted the temp was 400+ degrees(Not good) in the back of the car ...and only 100 + degrees (normal) toward the front part of the car. He mentioned possibly a cloged catalitic converter???? He also took the air filter off and sprayed some stuff through the air mass flow area. Car still doing same thing. He said he would have to call his friend who is a GM Tech to find some other solutions...and he would give me a call back.
Im hoping to get back on the road soon...so any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks! Alisa

butchkaz
Site Admin

Unread post by butchkaz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:56 am

As long as fuel pressure was checked to be o.k. WHEN it stalled, then we can rule that out.
A plugged converter would cause it to loose power when accelerating, but should not cause it to stall or not restart. A way to check that though is to disconect the exhaust pipe from the rear manifold and see how it runs.
As it stalls and wont restart, need to check for spark and fuel injector pulse. Need to find out what is missing and causing it to not start- I.E- fuel pressure, spark, injector pulse.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.