Looking for advice on buying a car.

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Honda questions now.
TAKATA

Igniter installation for air bag Recall

Unread post by TAKATA » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:12 am

Has any Honda or Acura Dealer mechanic ever installed just a new igniter as part of the defective Honda air bag recall?

carriedi

Re: Igniter installation for air bag

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:49 am

I am not a Honda or Acura Dealer mechanic. But I do know that a recall has been issued for the Takata built air bags (NHTSA 14V-700 which was in addition to NHTSA 14V-353)
I would imagine that the items to be replaced are stated within the recall procedures
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

TAKATA

Re: Igniter installation for air bag

Unread post by TAKATA » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:00 pm

When I first contacted Honda; they were insistent that all they had to do was install a igniter. After drilling them on this for over a month, they finally said they were going to put an entire inflator in the drivers side of my nieces MDXalong with a new clock spring and controller. Then, when they finished that; I asked a person in upper management why they didn't replace the passenger side? His answer was because it was recalled because it was installed improperly; not because of a propellant issue. I immediately emailed him the internal memo that the recalls were both for faulty propellant (14-029 driver and 14-030 passenger) they immediately apologized, fired the rep and installed a new inflator on the passenger side. Don't let them stroke you. They really don't know the exact reason why these are combusting too fast, over pressurizing the canister and sending people to their death. A couple a years ago, Honda was successful in getting a complete report on the issue redacted from the NHTSA. It took another death in October. 2014 for the NHTSA and congress to wake up.
If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me.

ThomasSwafford

Looking for advice on buying a car.

Unread post by ThomasSwafford » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:37 am

Hi everyone, I'm looking for buying a new car this year and I found many options too. I got a lot of suggestions from my family and friends. Hence, I am terribly confused now, which one to choose! Some of my friends told me that you better look for Honda, since they are having less maintenance cost when compared to others. I searched online for this and found the same opinion in one blog. Anyhow, at present I think it's better to stick with Honda.

carriedi

Re: Looking for advice on buying a car.

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:43 am

Honda and Toyota have remarkable histories. That being said, new cars of most makes are very sophisticated. Much better than even a few years ago. Today almost any new car will probably give you a good value for the money.

Used cars is a little bit different. Everyone will have their own opinion on what used cars they like. Honda and Toyota have had very good reports from "Consumer Reports" Some models are better than others. But, because of their reputation they draw a higher price. But with any car... what did the previous owner do with it? I had a customer that bought a Toyota Corolla with low miles for it's age. He brought in in with just under 90K miles with his oil light on. Upon examination it appeared that the previous owner never changed the oil. Or at least not often enough. The oil pick up screen was clogged with debris. the top of the was coated with sludge about 3/4 inch thick. We cleaned as much as we could but the life of this engine was seriously compromised.

Having a reputable shop do a used vehicle inspection before you buy is a good way to go.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.