alero, steam out the tailpipe

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
carriedi

Re: alero, steam out the tailpipe

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:10 am

congrats
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

kozzo

Unread post by kozzo » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:57 pm

eh, wel dangit,- tried to check fuel pressure- rental gauge didn't work, went ahead and got a fuel filter, and seemed to run a little better, then CEL came on again- po327, knock sensor. I'm figuring that I'm getting lean somehow, and making it ping- am I on the right track? I pulled the hose off the pressure regulator, and it smelled lightly like fuel, but no liquid gas came out the vacuum line. Engine isn't noisy...........this is definitely not my father's Oldsmobile- his ran good- lol

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:20 am

a knock sensor code will affect the engine. the pcm advances spark timing and when the knock sensor is working the pcm will retard the timing if it see a knock situation. If you have a code stored the engine will run in default to protect the engine and emissions. some aftermarket knock sensors don't work right with the pcm. Check the wire to the knock sensor and see if it has 5 volt reference voltage (check at the knock sensor wire harness plug in, key on engine off knock sensor not plugged in) if you have % volts plug the knock sensor in and the voltage in the wire should go to about 2.5 volts. if you have 2.5 volts it should be ok. If you have some other voltage the resistance of the sensor may be wrong.

kozzo

Unread post by kozzo » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:41 pm

ok, here we- no voltage to the knocky sensor. Wire or defective PCM I'm guessing????? I guess if I can find which pin on the ecm, I can check voltage there? Where's the pcm? where's waldo?

kozzo

Unread post by kozzo » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:04 pm

ok, found the pcm under the dash, autozone had a diagram for a blue wire, terminal 33
don't know if this link will work- anyways, hooked up a wire tap to blue wire on 33, no voltage coming from it- nothing. For kicks, I pulled the pcm out- has a sticker on it saying it has been flashed. Do these go bad that often?
http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs ... 2415ca.gif

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:47 pm

they do go bad. does your knock sensor have a single wire connector or does it have a two wire connector?

kozzo

Unread post by kozzo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:41 pm

it is a single- there is a splice in the connection- I wonder if it shorted out at one time, and burned up the circuit. If I do get a new PCM- should I get one that is "flashed" to my application off ebay, or should I just get one off a wreck with same engine and transmission? Am I gonna end up at the dealership after all my trouble? I was going to go ahead and buy a scanner, as now I have 2 obd2 cars now, and I've read I'll have to relearn crankshaft variation on this if I pull a used computer from a wreck

kozzo

Unread post by kozzo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:03 pm

so I went and pulled a used computer from another Alero, had to do the security learn. Got it started, and still no voltage from the wire :twisted: I do however have a battery light on the dash, even though it's charging at 14.5volts. Car ran rough at first, drove round the neighborhood, and when I got it home, and all warmed up- I turned it off, and tried to restart it, and it didn't want to start or idle, unless I give it some gas. Thinking about just putting the old ecm back in and taking it to the dealership. I've worked on a lot of cars, but this one has been the most frustrating

coolant leval sensor switch location

Unread post by 5150 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:52 am

3.4v6 coolant leval sensor switch location I do not have radiator cap just overflow tank