Lexus Alternator or voltage regulator problem

Including Hyundai, Audi, BMW, Mistubishi or any other car.
ADISINGH

Lexus Alternator or voltage regulator problem

Unread post by ADISINGH » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:01 am

I have a 1997 Lexus ES300 6cylinder Engine When the car wouldn’t start. Everything was dead. No lights, no beeps. I jumped it and drove home. Recharged the battery. The battery tested okay. I had my alternator/voltage regulator tested at AutoZone while in the car. The test indicated that the Voltage regulator was malfunctioning. I put in a new alternator/voltage regulator and had it tested again. The test still said the voltage regulator was malfunctioning. I took the old alternator/voltage regulator into the store for a test. It passed. Do I have a wiring problem? No check engine light came on nor the battery light. either

carriedi

Re: Lexus Alternator or voltage regulator problem

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:57 pm

what was the charging voltage?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

ADISINGH

Unread post by ADISINGH » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:58 pm

carriedi wrote:what was the charging voltage?
I had the voltage regulator check. It is undercharging. The battery voltage when engine is running is 12.8 volts.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:09 am

yes, at 12.8 volts your alternator is not charging. you should check that all the fuses are good. that being said charging voltage should be 13.5 to 15.1 @2000 rpm at 77F (25C). So, if all the fuses are good it would point to a bad alternator.

you have a 100 amp alt fuse in the fusible link block (left front inner fender) 5 Amp alt-s fuse and a 30 amp am2 fuse in the second junction block (left front inner fender) a 40 amp AMI fuse, 5 amp IGN fuse and a 10 amp gauge fuse in the junction block behind left side of the dash.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

ADISINGH

Unread post by ADISINGH » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:28 pm

This weekend I finally had time to do some work. I thoroughly cleaned the battery posts and all of the connectors, clamps, nuts, bolts with baking soda and steel wool. I then had the voltage regulator/alternator tested and everything tested normal. Hurrah!!!