2000 saturn station wgn

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Saturn questions.
otis

2000 saturn station wgn

Unread post by otis » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:59 pm

Everytime I come to a stop pr just slow down the engine rumbles, bogs down then shuts off, even if I turn a corner. Then I would have to start it in neutral so I won't get rear ended.What do I do to fix this problem. I've had it in the sop 3-times and they can't seem to find the problem.The funny thing is, there are no codes that come up! some days it runs fine then other days it does it.

carriedi

Re: 2000 saturn station wgn

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:00 am

How does the whole car look on the scanner? How's the temperature? Is it running cold by the gauge? or normal? Does it happen when the engine is warmed up or when it is cold? Since it is intermittent it will be harder to figure out. The shop that looks at it has to have it act up while they are driving it with the scanner on to see what happens when the condition happens. When it is running normal that's what the scanner will show.

If the engine stall and you restart it will it stay running in park or neutral? Does it only die when you put it in gear? Or can you put it in gear and it only dies when you drive and then slow down coming to a stop?

after it dies, does it restart like normal or is it hard to start? There are many things that can make a car stall and the conditions surrounding the time it stalls can help diag what is happening.

coolant temp sensor that reads too low when the engine is warmed up. Leaking fuel pressure regulator. throttle body coking. Sticking iac. may not even be the engine, maybe the torque converter is sticking in lock up when you come to a stop. Maybe even a spot on the wiring harness that has rubbed through and is shorting out as you drive...

has it happened while it was at the shop you took it to?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

otis

Unread post by otis » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:22 am

Everything runs fine, all gages are normal. after it dies out, I can start it back with no problem and continue down the road as normal until I slow down to make a turn or come to a red light or stop sign. The car only has 60k original miles on it, it was mostly parked in a barn in New York for about 6yrs. It was started about 5 times a year. Now the car is in california. I took it to the smog shop an it passed with no problem. It drives and rides excellent other than the stalling problem. I did notice before it dies it purges and the rpm drop then goes back up then it drops and dies out and I put the car in neutral as its rolling and restart it and ease on down the road with no problem until the next stop. Thanks for responding. I hate to keep shelling out money for no progress.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:25 pm

I would start with the throttle body cleaning. make sure the iac numbers are low. The computer may be just a little slow reacting to the sudden shut down of the throttle when you let off the gas.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.