Rod knock saturn 2001 sc2

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Saturn questions.
bumpbump

Saturn Sc2 1.9 Liter Motor Knocking

Unread post by bumpbump » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:17 pm

Hello I own a Saturn Sc2 Which I did a top end Rebuild has head redone completely and Piston Rings Reringed and also Timing Chain and Tensioner ...Also all New Gaskets and ALL . After Motor being Installed Back in Car About 2 Weeks of Driving it a Really Loud Knocking Noise Came about Which Was Contious and Got louder as accerated... Can anyone that can help with where the Noise might be Coming From It Sounds Like it Bottom end of Motor .Motor is Back out and on Stand Completely Torn down again . I am Leaning toward Piston Bearing and Crankshaft Bearings ...Thank you !!!

carriedi

Re: Saturn Sc2 1.9 Liter Motor Knocking

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:06 am

without actually hearing the noise, from the description you gave it does make sense to look at the rod bearings and main bearings. you should have checked oil pressure before you pull the motor. otherwise while you do the bottom end you might want to include a new oil pump and pickup tube.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

bumpbump

Unread post by bumpbump » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:52 pm

IT Has Compression and Oil Pressure ..Tested it before I pulled Motor out of Car ..it made kinds knocking noise ..By using Stetascope Listen to knocking and seemed Like it was coming from Block location

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:36 am

rod knock or a main bearing knock won't lower the compression. Bearing knock is where the bearing has worn enough or spun and allow a space between connecting rod and crank or the crank and the main bearing mount. the explosion in the cylinder makes the rod close the gap with a knock sound. if the engine was still in the car you could run the engine and remove the spark from one cylinder at a time and see which cylinder the knock is coming from.

Cole1213

Rod knock saturn 2001 sc2

Unread post by Cole1213 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:25 pm

My Saturn sc2 just started to knock after I got on the gas a bit it's good on oil an everything any suggestions to the cause spun a bearing and lost oil pressure or....

carriedi

Re: Rod knock saturn 2001 sc2

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:13 pm

just clearing a post that was double entered and left here for a long time.

Answer could be:

a lot of miles on the engine.
oil change interval
factory clearances at max allowable from the factory but allowable so reduced life
normal wear, nothing lasts forever
engine pinging. detonation causes abnormal stresses on bearings.
Parts not perfectly made from the factory but passed inspection: (passed allowable tolerances but over time tolerances grew)
a. defective bearing
b. defective crank
c. defective rod
d. defective wrist pin
e. defective piston
Did you loose oil pressure?
Is it a rod bearing? Crank bearing? Cracked flex plate? Loose harmonic balancer? Piston slap? Bad lifter?