06 saturn ion3 cooling fan off when a/c is on

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Saturn questions.
robcon

06 saturn ion3 cooling fan off when a/c is on

Unread post by robcon » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:54 pm

My 2006 saturn ion3 a/c does not work when at lights or standing still. Works great when driving. Cooling fan does not come on unless engine is hot, but does come on. I'm a former auto tech, and wonder if I can hook up a relay to the compressor feed to turn on the cooling fan whenever the a/c is on,
because my guess is the problem is in the computer, which is giving no other problems. Any thoughts?

carriedi

Re: 06 saturn ion3 cooling fan off when a/c is on

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:31 pm

you are correct that the ECM turns on the fan. There are two relays. Relay fan 1 is in the underhood fuse box. relay fan2 is attached to the top corner of the radiator. Both fan relays have fuses in the underhood fuse box. Fuse 44 and 45 both 30A fuses. Both fuses should be hot all the time. The ecm grounds the relays to power up the fan. (fan1 dark green wire to the ecm) (fan2 dark blue wire to the ecm)

the ac clutch relay is also grounded by the ecm. (dark green and white wire to the ecm)

you should use a scanner and graph the signals for those three realays and see what they are doing when the ac is supposed to be working.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.