Smog Test/Service Engine Light

chevyfan

Smog Test/Service Engine Light

Unread post by chevyfan » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:38 pm

I have a 2000 S-10 Pick up. 2.2 4 cyls. I'm in California and I need a smog test. Since my service engine light is on, it won't pass. I got the code which indicates the fuel pressure sensor is not working. Someone told me to try a new fuel cap 1st. I did to no avail. I really don't want to drop my fuel tank to replace it. Is there any way around this?
Thanks for your help in advance.

carriedi

Re: Smog Test/Service Engine Light

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:47 pm

what was the code number?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

chevyfan

Unread post by chevyfan » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:53 pm

PO452 twice. The guy at the smog test station looked it up for me. he showed me the computer screen that said fuel pressure sensor.

I just got out from under my truck. I won't be dropping my fuel tank. It looks easier to lift the bed.
Suggestions?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:03 pm

you're going to need to have a scanner hooked up to your vehicle and check the voltage readings for your fuel tank pressure sensor. the code you have, p0452, is for the computer seeing a voltage reading less than 0.1 volt for a time of 25 seconds. this has to happen two times to set the code. so, reading the scanner will help you see what is happening with the sensor. There are more than just a bad sensor that could be why you have the code. Some times a bad connection at the sensor connector can give a bad reading. also a stuck rollover valve or problem with the purge circuit. driving with a scanner will allow you to see what the sensor is reading and how it is reacting to purge and vacuum testing

it is much easier to drop the tank that to lift the bed, but I have the truck up on a lift over my head. I don't know which would be easier if I had to do it on the ground.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.