Dodge Ram 1500 quit running fuel leak

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Dodge and Chrysler questions.
dodgeram

Dodge Ram 1500 quit running fuel leak

Unread post by dodgeram » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:58 am

2001 dodge ram 1500 5.2 v8 Was driving and truck quit running and there was fuel leaking on ground. Change fuel pump and now have problems with the truck running after it warms up. It will run as long as your moving but when you stop it cuts out and dies. Have to wait sometimes for awhile for it to start. Have change cam and crank sensors with no luck. its starts right up and sounds great and then cuts out and sputters then dies. Please help.

carriedi

Re: Dodge Ram 1500 quit running fuel leak

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:41 am

trying to follow your post, fuel leak, you changed your fuel pump. Fuel pump is in the tank so you don't have a fuel leak from the fuel pump unless it's leaking inside the tank. So where was your fuel leak? If the fuel leak was inside the tank, and it can happen, how did you know?

All that aside, On your dying problem, If it only dies at idle, have you tried opening the throttle just a little to see if it will stay running then? You could have a problem with throttle body coking. You know that your idle is controlled by the computer. It allows air to bypass the throttle plate to control the idle speed. If the throttle body is coked up (dirty) it closes throttle body opening and the Idle Air Control valve has to open more to compensate. Eventually the throttle body is so coked up that there isn't enough air getting around the throttle plate to keep the engine running. The engine dies at idle because it can't breathe. If you open the throttle a little bit, it allows air to keep the engine running.

Using a scanner, you can dos a test called minimum airflow test. if the engine idles too low or dies then you know it's coked up. Clean the throttle body and throttle plate, adjust the idle screw to allow a minimum idle speed and it should take care of the dying at idle problem.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

dodgeram

Unread post by dodgeram » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:33 am

Carriedi thanks for responding so quickly. There was probably no fuel leak. This truck belonged to my dad who has passed away now and when the truck quit him my brother changed the fuel pump. I don't know how he determined that the fuel pump was the problem. When it didn't run right after changing he did a scan and it coded for cam and crank sensors which he changed. Didn't fix the problem. Since then I was given the truck. I was not aware that he had changed the sensors and I rescanned with a Snap-On scanner and it coded the same sensors. But like I said those are new. I'm going to do a fuel pressure test and also try what you have suggested. The truck has been taken very good care of and this was the first time it has had a problem. It has 83,000 miles on it and to good of a pickup to just sit. I will let you know if the throttle was the problem. Again thank you!

dodgeram

Unread post by dodgeram » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:29 pm

Carriedi tried what you suggested and fuel pressure was good but didn't fix the problem. After it get hot it starts back firing thru the throttle body because the right bank is lean and the left bank is rich. Then it dies and when you try to restart it, it acts like its out of time.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:00 am

when you say the right bank is lean and the left bank is rich, what are the numbers? what are the fuel trims, long term and short term?

can your scanner look at the activity of the O2 sensors? Are all the pre-cat O2 sensors cycling back and forth below .2 and over .8 volt?

since you have a snap on scanner to use, did you do the minimum idle test using the scanner?

what was your fuel pressure spec?

dodgeram

Unread post by dodgeram » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:51 am

The o2 seniors are fine as well as fuel pressure. I've changed the MAP and Ignition sensors with no change. Thought it could just be bad gas and put B-12 in it and also premium gas. It starts good and runs until warm then does all the cutting out and if stays running it will finally level out. I drove it for about 50 miles and then it just died. Had to wait about 20 minutes for it to start and drove another 25 miles to get home. I really don't know where to look next.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:05 pm

I don't understand. you said one side was rich and the other side was lean. How did you come to this conclusion if the fuel trims and O2 sensors are fine?

dodgeram

Unread post by dodgeram » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:49 pm

I'm sorry for the confusion. I answered your reply for my husband and he told me all of those things were ok. He has me confused as well. He now thinks it's the ECM. What do you think. We're down to putting parts on this truck that can't be returned if it doesn't fix the problem.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:43 am

the shotgun approach does work sometimes but it gets expensive. It's usually better to figure out what is going wrong and just fix the problem. If you can't figure it out you could take it to a shop and have them figure it out for you and then you just do the repair.