All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ask A Question Reply   

contributions: 4
Hi all. I have problems with starting my '96 Odyssey... yesterday I had three incidences where I started it only to have it stall within a couple of seconds. It would take me a few minutes to get it started again without it failing, and only then it was possibly because I really revved it while turning it over. It had absolutely no problems while I was driving it, though, or idling at traffic lights. This morning it will not start at all, it is turning over well but not firing. It is a very cold morning, I don't know if this is relevant at all! When I turn the ignition on I can hear a low hum that I assume to be the fuel pump.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Share on FacebookShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

* Search   

contributions: 2049
you might want to pull a spark plug wire off the cap and check to see if you have spark. Keep the spark plug wire close to the cap and watch for the spark to jump from the cap to the spark plug wire while someone else cranks the engine over.

Thank you. We have done as you suggested, and the verdict is.... no spark whatsoever. Other posts I have read have suggested that this might be a problem with the ignition itself, do you have any ideas about this?

contributions: 2049
you may have spark from the coil not getting to the plugs. a short in the coil, a bad rotor (burned through), the screw fell out of the rotor... you will need to check inside the distributor. if it looks ok, you may want to have a mechanic check it for coil output, signal to the coil, crankshaft sensor, tdc, cym, ECM

Thanks! The coil is something that was suggested to us today, and we would have looked except the 8mm spanner is mysteriously absent and we couldn't get the distributor cap off without it! It looks like it is staying there for the night now, it can be tomorrow's challenge. Thanks again, I will let you know how I get on :-)

So! When I took the distributor cap off, I saw that all the points were really corroded and bought a new one, ever hopeful that that was the issue. No such luck. I guess there comes a time where you have to admit you are a complete amateur, so I called an auto-sparky who came to our house, tested it, changed the coil and now the car is running like magic again. Just like that. Makes me wish I had done it a week ago! At least I have learned a fair bit in the process :) Thanks for your help, you were spot on!

Ask A Question Reply