Pressure Buildup in radiator and low/ no coolant

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Honda questions now.
rb1984

Pressure Buildup in radiator and low/ no coolant

Unread post by rb1984 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:42 pm

I've notice over the course of the last week or so, I have checked in the radiator to make sure there is antifreeze. Even when I take the cap off when the car has been sitting for a long time to when the engine is cold, antifreeze will spew out, but there would be coolant left. Today I took off the cap and I did not see any coolant, so I added more. However, the reservoir tank was full (overfull, actually). I haven't noticed coolant in my engine and I don't see oil mixed in with the coolant...any advice?

carriedi

Re: Pressure Buildup in radiator and low/ no coolant

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:08 am

what made you decide to check your coolant level. Has your vehicle gotten hot? You could have a bad cap. the cap should have a two way cap. It should hold 13-14 psi pressure in the radiator as the coolant heats up but as it cools down and the coolant contracts it should open a valve to pull coolant back into the radiator from the overflow bottle. You may want to do a pressure test for a leak. You may also want to check for hydrocarbons in the cooling system. Make sure the electric fan is coming on when the engine gets hot.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

rb1984

Unread post by rb1984 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:48 pm

I started checking my radiator fluid because about 5 years ago, I had a blown head gasket and my car was overheating. Before that happened, I made a 6 hour drive without checking the fluid, so I guess a little OCD since then, but I always check the coolant.

Anyway, I have been reading about having the pressurized check done to check for leaks...I may try to do this tomorrow. I hope that is all it is. I really hope it's not yet another head gasket problem...cant afford it. I do also notice though, that the car seems to be consuming oil as well. The radiator cap seems to be fine. Would there be any wear and tear on it or something else to indicate that there is something wrong with it? When I twist it off, I hear what sounds like a healthy popping noise, as if it is keeping the radiator nice and sealed...

rb1984

Unread post by rb1984 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:54 pm

Also, my car has not overheated yet. The temp hand stays around right below half way. When I last had this problem, I started noticing the temp hand fluctuating a lot and it would get above half way and climb towards the red.

zohaa3492

Unread post by zohaa3492 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:25 am

My car has been leaking coolant and dont know if its the water pump that needs to be replaced or if its a cable. How or where can I find the leak so I can repair this leak.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:56 am

How do you know it is leaking? is it leaving coolant on the ground? Coolant puddling on the engine somewhere? Or are you just having to keep adding coolant and don't have any signs of actual coolant on the ground? (internal or external leak)

in most cases you find the leak by looking over the area when the vehicle is leaking. the cooling system is usually under pressure when the engine is warmed up so, look to see if you can see any leaks then. If the leak cannot be seen then you may have to take it to a shop that can pressurize the system and see if they can find where the leak is at.

cooling system pressure test is when you use a tool to put pressure into the closed cooling system. It may take some time before you can trace where the leak is if it is an external leak.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.