2003 matrix will not start

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Toyota questions.
deka

07 Toyota matrix xr

Unread post by deka » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:33 pm

Having an issue with my 07 matrix. Starts fine when engine is cold and it runs great. But if I stop after the engine is warm, it dont want to start till it sits for awhile. It turns over just won't fire. Any ideas what might cause this?

carriedi

Re: 07 Toyota matrix xr

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:07 am

there are many things that can cause a no start warm problem. Scanning the engine when it is cold and comparing it to when it is warm and won't start would be the easiest way to see what is going on. If your coolant sensor reads too cold your engine would work fine when cold because it will run rich. After it warms up that rich condition could become a flooding problem that would make it difficult to start. When it won't start, try holding the gas pedal to the flood and see if you can get it to start up that way. (release the pedal as soon as it starts up. don't hold it down and let the engine race away when it starts)

Could be a fuel pump problem. When the fuel pump gets hot it turns off until it cools down.

It could be a fuel pressure regulator which acts just like a temp sensor, makes it rich when warm.

could be a bad coil or module that gets hot and stops working.

Checking for spark, fuel pressure and injector pulse when it won't start would be the first things to do. See if you are missing any one or more of those things would where to pinpoint your diagnosis.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

jbiggs30

2003 matrix will not start

Unread post by jbiggs30 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:29 pm

I have a 03 matrix manual that would not start so I push started it and drove to the parts store tested the battery which was fine tested the starter which was bad replaced the starter car started fine drove home and car cut off and would not start! I took the starter off had it tested it was fine changed the clutch safety switch checked the fuses changed the ignition switch and nothing! I even ran a wire from the battery to a push button switch to the siliniod now 5 he starter rolls over but car won't start! PLEASE HELP

carriedi

Re: 2003 matrix will not start

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:12 am

does your car have anti-theft or not? Before you just replace items you should follow the starting circuit and see if you have the correct flow from the battery. Your car has power from the battery to the starter through a big cable from the positive battery post. It has power to the solenoid from the battery post through a fusible link then 30A main fuse, then through a red and black wire to the starter relay in the instrument panel junction box. the relay is powered up by a black and white (or just black) wire from the clutch safety switch. If you have anti-theft, it will be between the clutch switch and the starter relay. the power to the ignition switch that powers up the clutch switch comes on a black wire from the AM2 fuse (15A)

Check to see if you have power going to the clutch switch when you put the key into the start position. If you do then check to see if you have power going out of the switch when it is depressed. If that's all good verify that you have power going to the starter solenoid. If you aren't getting power to the solenoid check the relay. If you have anti-theft you will have a relay before the starter relay . It's called the starter cut relay behind the right upper side of the dash.

the clutch switch also has a wire that goes to the engine control module. so you want to make sure that the engine control module also see the signal when you depress the clutch pedal.

so when you try to start it with the key and you push your clutch in, what happens? No crank and no start? Does it crank but not start? Or nothing? Are you getting power to the starter solenoid? And back to: does your car have anti-theft?

have you checked for any codes?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.