'06 Toyota tacoma 4x4 v6 engine misfire

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Toyota questions.
wveaz

'06 Toyota tacoma 4x4 v6 engine misfire

Unread post by wveaz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:18 pm

I have a 06 toyota tacoma v6 4x4 with aprox 135000 mil. It starts well when cold and if i restart after just a few minutes after sutting it off. I have multiple cyl misfire codes, and at 40 -45 i get a viberation like a misfire. Sometime at startup and or while driving at the 40-45 mph I get a very bad misfire problem that causes my check engine light to blink. I have changed the spark plugs, coolant temp sensor, and the fuel resistor. I am at a loss.
Thanks,
Will Veazey

ProTech

Re: '06 Toyota tacoma 4x4 v6 engine misfire

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:57 pm

It could be an ignition coil breaking down and causing a misfire, or an ignition wire. Not sure if you have one piece coils/wires on each cylinder or regular ignition wires like a car with a distributor or separate coils. Also, maybe a fuel injector problem as well can cause this. It sounds ignition related to me, so I'd start by checking there.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

wveaz

Unread post by wveaz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Thanks for the input, I did replace the #6 coil because the fault code has indicated that cyl a few times, but this did not help. The engine has coil on plug to each cyl., I was on the same page as you, but couldn't really get myself past believeing that all the coils or injectors would become faulty at once.

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:05 am

Yeah, probably not every single coil. If you're experiencing misfires on all cylinders, it's usually something like poor quality fuel, low compression or other internal engine issue.

One other thing, there may something common to all cylinders cutting out like a bad computer, or a wiring problem that feeds power or ground to any of the those circuits. Something to consider.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+