93 Toyota Camry wont start, replaced distributor/coil pack

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Toyota questions.
ericsparks1984

93 Toyota Camry wont start, replaced distributor/coil pack

Unread post by ericsparks1984 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:40 am

I have a 93 Toyota Camry, and the other day it started fine, then just all of the sudden cut off. I went to replace the coil pack, and accidentally broke a electrical wire connected to the distributor, so therefore I ended up replacing the coil pack and distributor. But the car still won't start. Any ideas of what else my be wrong????????

ProTech

Re: 93 Toyota Camry wont start, replaced distributor/coil pa

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:06 pm

I'd first make sure any wiring that may have broken has been repaired and there isn't any other wiring issues. After that, I'd check for spark just to make sure the distributor and coil are working properly.

If you have spark, you're going to have to start looking elsewhere for the problem. Try a compression test to make sure there aren't any internal engine problems (which can be caused if the timing belt broke). Check for proper fuel pressure.

If all that checks out, it could be a computer problem, or other wiring issues you aren't aware of. You may want to have it scanned for any trouble codes that may be set in the computer.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

andre

Unread post by andre » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:50 am

1994 Toyota Camry. Can not put positive and negative to battery without high stark.

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:58 am

andre wrote:1994 Toyota Camry. Can not put positive and negative to battery without high stark.
That is a sign of something drawing a lot of current. So, when you touch the battery cables, whatever is doing that is turning on or trying to operate. Check for a current draw with a test light, not an amp meter since that kind of draw will blow your meter, inline with one cable. This will show what is drawing current. Then you can start removing fuses until the draw goes away to find what circuit is hot.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:18 pm

when you say it won't start you mean it cranks over but won't start or it doesn't even crank over? If it cranks over, do you have spark coming out of the spark plug wires? Does the engine crank over normal or does it crank over real fast like no compression?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Junior

Unread post by Junior » Fri May 13, 2016 11:41 pm

My. 93' Toyota Camry cut off and won't start. Distributor melted and when the wires got pulled off they broke. So mechanic had to get them off the spark plugs. Says there s fuel in oil. Do I need to get another engine? Where should I start?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sun May 15, 2016 2:50 pm

no, you don't need to get another engine (yet). you need to find a mechanic that knows how to diagnose your problem. If your engine was running and the spark stopped but the injectors kept shooting fuel you will get fuel in the oil. You need to find out what it's going to take to get the spark working correctly. Change your oil and see how the engine runs.

how did your distributor melt? What wires are you talking about that broke? Is your mechanic from a repair shop in your area or is it someone who just says he is a mechanic?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.