Mitsubishi dies and bogs when hitting the gas

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Toyota questions.
Vincent4

Mitsubishi dies and bogs when hitting the gas

Unread post by Vincent4 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:04 am

1998 Mitsubishi eclipse 2.4 liter automatic, i took the fuel filter off and blew it out with air compressor i put it back on and it idles fine but it keeps bogging down when hitting the gas pedal then goes back to idling fine.

Sounds like if you would have a big stereo in it and everytime it beats the headlights dim down and motor dies down. But i dont have a big stereo, what could be the problem?

ProTech

Re: Mitsubishi dies and bogs when hitting the gas

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:12 pm

Did you have this problem before you took the fuel filter out, or were you trying to fix it by doing that?
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Vincent4

Unread post by Vincent4 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:29 pm

I tried this to fix the bogging down and noise problem. It did seem to help the idle a little though.
It make that strange noise and does not have any power at all. Thanks again.

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Well, I'd have to assume that either you are losing fuel pressure, or have a misfire condition that is bogging down the engine under acceleration. I don't have the exact spec that your fuel pressure should be, but I would still recommend doing a fuel pressure test. A pump with low flow/pressure/volume can cause a situation like this.

Otherwise, start checking the basics....check for spark on all cylinders, even under load. You may be losing it due to a coil or ignition wire, or spark plug breaking down under load. If able, check fuel injector pulse with a test light, and if equipped with a proper scanner you can do an injector balance test. Make sure the air filter isn't clogged, etc, as well as making sure there aren't any vacuum leaks.

If the check engine light is on, you should pull the codes and see what comes up, as that's probably a good lead to what's wrong with the car.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+