Wheels locked up

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Ford truck questions now.
skbeeks

Wheels locked up

Unread post by skbeeks » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:18 pm

My 2004 F-150, 5.4 triton 3V, wheels locked up my son the other day. He was at work and the vehicle was operating normally. When he got off work, I got the phone call. The front brakes and rotors were definitely overdue for a change...I was planning to do it this week.
When I moved the vehicle back into the parking spot it was like trying to climb over a curb...very pronounced jerking. I needed to get on the gas to get her to move. It sounded like one or more tires were dragging across the pavement. I have messed around trying to do as much of my own maintenance in the past several years, by no means do I declare to be a mechanic, but I'm baffled. It is possible for all the brakes lock up? I'm pretty sure that I didn't have all calipers go bad at once. Master cylinder? Not sure what the technical name is the vacuum module in line with the master cylinder...if that fails due to the lack of engine vacuum, would/could that lock all the brakes, just one, or a pair? Driveline issue? Bearings?
Totally confused!!!
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

carriedi

Re: Wheels locked up

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:15 am

you're need to find out which wheels are locked up. One front? both front? all? One rear? If you can get all four wheel up at the same time and see which ones you can spin then you go from there.

Once you find out which wheel are dragging then you localize the problem. If only one wheel is locked up, it could be a caliper or a bad brake hose. If both front are locked up, it could be calipers, brake hoses, abs or master cylinder. If it's just the rears then the same parts are applied. If it's all four then it could be master or abs. It could be that you brake fluid is contaminated too. That would affect everything in the brake system. If someone added oil, hydraulic fluid or power steering to the brake system it could damage everything in the brake system.

Vacuum booster usually won't cause the brakes to lock up. Usually when they go out you don't have any vacuum assist so it gets hard to stop. You need to apply much more pressure to the pedal to stop the truck. But I have had a booster that went bad and when you stepped on the brake pedal the booster would suck the pedal to the floor and slam on the brakes. But that was only one time in over 40 years of experience.

once you find which wheels are locked up, open a bleeder screw on a wheel and see if the brake fluid is under pressure. If brake fluid shoots out of the bleeder and the the wheel turns normally it is not frozen calipers but a blockage it the system. A brake hose, plugged line, combination valve, ABS, master...

Just close the bleeder step on the brake until the pressure sticks again and check farther up the system until you find that when you open it it doesn't free up the wheels and then you can tell what is hanging the system up
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Kristina

Unread post by Kristina » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:18 am

I am traveling and I also think I'm dragging one maybe two wheels. My rear end feels like its going to the side kind of the way a crab walks I'm a woman and about three hours from anything, not to mention its late and nothing is open even if I were near something. I'm not any kind of machanic but will jump under the hood and take care of most things if I'm able. I have an 01 excursion 4x4 7.3 . which has also started to randomly just turn off when it feels like it. Glo plug light comes on and fuel pump runs for long time eventually starting and after about five times of the light coming on and it shouting down and me restarting it it will stay running maybe one hour maybe four hours never know. I was wondering if there is anything at all I can do out here myself to get me somewhere that I'm safe and can have fixed if I can't do it. You are my only hope at this point. Thank you

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:59 pm

I wish I could help you but there are numerous things that cause problems. you should try to find a diesel repair shop that is the closest to you where ever you are.

you could try calling a local parts store and ask who works on diesels in the area.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.