1976 Ford Truck on class C Rv "starter cylinoid info needed"

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Ford truck questions now.
jly

Re: 1976 Ford Truck on class C Rv "starter cylinoid info nee

Unread post by jly » Tue May 12, 2015 1:17 pm

hi,
Replaced one fuse that was wrapped in tin foil and the linke wire has been replaced.
I had it done and he did not do what I told him. that wire was a 10
that was connected into a 17 before it then continued to the alternator. He did the entire wire with the 17 which I will change,
unless you think it does not matter. Could this be problem that would keep it from starting. One thing is different
on the wire a little I don't hear the click down near

It will not turn over but at least now I can hear it trying too. I am wondering if the problem might be the two small
relay wires,if they have been reversed?.
because the man who messed it up originally I found out later had dyslexia. Should I try to check that out and if so
any suggestions as to a short cut to find out if they are reversed?

Thank you so very much for all your help and I look forward to hearing from you.
Have a blessed day,

jly

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Thu May 14, 2015 10:55 am

I am unsure of the wiring you are talking about or what you mean by "reverse".

all the battery side wires should connect to the big terminal on the "S" side of the relay. Only the starter cable should be on the "I" side of the relay.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

jly

Unread post by jly » Tue May 19, 2015 2:45 pm

my relay #496 has four places to connect to. I have placed all accessary wires to the battery side and the starter wire to the other side. in between these two connection my relay has two small wires that are connected. I wanted to know a system to test these two wires to find out if they are connected to the right place. They are the two smaller wires and if he made a mistake it would have to be they are connected each one to the place the other one goes (reversed as to where they should go). If one could have anything to do with the motor turning over and staying turned over then what trouble can I get into by reversing them to see if that is the
problem?
You are such a blessing.

thanks for all your help!
jly
prophetesss54704@yahoo.com

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Tue May 19, 2015 10:53 pm

originally the two small wires that connect to the two small terminals are for the starter wire from the ignition switch, that one goes to the the the terminal marked "S". That wire should have battery voltage when the key is in the start position.

the other wire that should connect to the other terminal ( the "I" terminal) should go to the (+) side of the ignition coil. It gives the coil 12 volts when cranking. (normally when the engine is running, the coil runs on lower voltages to help reduce wear in the points.

if the two wires are a brown wire (the one for the coil) and a Red and blue wire (ignition switch) then you should wire them up accordingly.

If you have a test light, the wire that gets battery voltage when you put the ignition switch in start, that one goes to the "S" terminal.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.